Silly Noob Question?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Ryan220, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Ryan220

Ryan220
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I have been a member of the forum for a short while and have used it to increase my AV knowledge, which was (and still is) rather poor.

I have just bought a Toshiba 36ZP48, a Toshiba RDXS34 and a Sagem ITD 60 Freeview reciever. (all connected via Banbridge (i think) scart, component and optical leads)

I am very disappointed with the quality of the Freeview picture. It sometimes appears to be blocky or smudgy (Im sure there must be a correct technical term)

Non digi picture is very good and DVD is simply amazing.

The signal reception strength according to the ITD screen is 77/100. According to the same screen this gives a pic quality rating of 98/100.

This may be the daft question - the Sagem box cost £30 odd pounds which is very cheap. Would I realistically see a noticable difference in pic quality difference by spending £80 - £100 on a different Freeview box?

Many thanks

Ryan

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello and welcome to the forums :hiya:

You are unliekly to notice any improvement unless your box is faulty. Your are noticing the very poor bitrate that Freeview is broadcast at. The compression used is very heavy compared to DVD, what you decribe is quite typical of MPEG compression.

edit: I should add that the "quality" figure is a representation of how much error correction the box is having to perform in order to display a picture; in your case it isn't having to work very hard at all :)

3. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

If your use of the word "blocky" is correct then it may be poor reception that is causing your picture break-up.
    Try to describe your fault in more detail.
    Is it okay on some channels?

Nigel