Silly Idea? - AVR (NR1510) for Vinyl

BoilingHotTakes

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get my first 'proper setup' for the main purpose of vinyl and secondly streaming. Budget is around 700ish, so I'm thinking Dali Zensor 1 (used) and Rega Planer 1 etc.

I've now somehow arrived at the idea a Marantz NR1510 would be a good idea as I'll get more bang for my buck because I can use the setup for my TV too. It seems the Marantz phono stage is fairly well regarded, "good but not great" as one review put it. Maybe my untrained ears couldn't tell the difference between a good and a great one anyway.

Am I being silly considering this? Maybe a slightly older model like (NR1508) combined with the seperate phono pre-amp would be a better option? Or shall I forget this whole debacle and just get a proper amp?

There's nothing silly but your money would probably be better spent on a stereousic only setup

There's a marantz pm6005 on the classifieds here for 190 (no affiliation) might be a better bet

How do you intend to stream?

There's nothing silly but your money would probably be better spent on a stereousic only setup

There's a marantz pm6005 on the classifieds here for 190 (no affiliation) might be a better bet

How do you intend to stream?
Thanks! I've just found a brand new NR1508 for the same price and the bargain hunter in me is struggling to resist.

I'd be streaming via Spotify so the AVR route has an extra +1 benefit there over the PM6005. I'm also glad to see Spotify will be launching a HQ service soon.

Would the NR1508 + Rega Fono Mini be comparable to the PM6005 for Vinyl?

I can't say for definite, but 5 channels amplified and all the streaming for not much more than an actual amp, it would make sense the 2 channel one is getting better components.

I'd bet on the pm6005

There is a 2 channel onkyo with HDMI, but the model number eludes me.

TX 8270

Stereo amp is always going to sound far better than an AV with vinyl or any kind of stereo music. The pm6005 can be used with the TV via optical.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm now thinking more in the direction of a used NAD C338 but the reviews seem to agree its lacking sonically.

Streaming is quite important to me so having this feature integrated into the receiver would be nice. For AVRs this is common but I can't see many amps around with this ability in the £600 and under price bracket.

A use PMP6006 seems like a good option too but then I'd need to add an external Spotify streamer.

Look at the marantz nr1200. This forum here actually reviews it

Chromecast for 30 odd would sort your streaming woes. Or look out for a used Teufel Connect/Yamaha WXA (I think)

Somebody has just listed a marantz nr1602 of Facebook for sale

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom