1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silicon Rubber? (for use in DIY mains cable)

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by StooMonster, Mar 31, 2003.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Anyone know the properties of silicon rubber?

I bought some 3/8" I.D. X 5/8" O.D. Synthetic Rubber Air Hose for ChrisVH "flavor 2" DIY power leads, from a UK tool shop. But I have no idea what it's made from.

ChrisVH says this shouldn't affect the sonics, but it would be ideal if it were silicon rubber (as I've read this is very good); I don't think that it's PVC as it's very flexible.

Anyone have any ideas of how I can work out what it is?

StooMonster

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    For example "Our professional air hose is super flexible and suitable for both workshop and bodyshop applications. Hose is also guaranteed silicon free and is particularly suited to application refinishing.The 1/2" bore professional silicon free rubber air hose is suitable for use with HVLP spraying equipment and should be used with high-flow air line couplings."

Heavy Duty Air Hose is generally "guaranteed silicon free" :( Guess you don't want silicon in workshop tools.

Think I'll go with it anyway, but wrap it in loads of PFTE Teflon.

Suggested enhancement to ChrisVH "flavor 2" mains lead, if you can get 3/8" I.D. X 5/8" O.D. silicone hose try that instead.

StooMonster