1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silent TiVo

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Zaichik, Mar 19, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I finally got my TiVo yesterday, and spent the evening setting it up. I haven't registered it yet, so I haven't yet experienced all its features.

One thing is concerning me: I read somewhere that the hard drive should turn over all the time in order to make it last longer. However, when I put my box into standby, it is completely silent - there is no sign of hard drive access or movement. Is this normal?

By the way, does TiVo still record programmes when in standby, or does it have to be switched on for that?

2. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My Tivo is pretty much silent,I mean you have to go right up to it and then you may hear the hard drive whirring - just sign up and be ready to have your viewing habits changed forever:D these things are the canines danglys,could not live without my Tivo now I have experienced it:p

3. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are using version 2.5.5 then the fan will be running continually, which it is supposed to do, so maybe that is what you can hear. I can't remember having heard the hard drive. The only time TiVo shuts down completely is when you disconnect it from the mains supply, otherwise it ticks oevr doing its thing.