1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silent Shuttle Computer.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by chilpillphil3, Sep 22, 2004.

1. chilpillphil3

chilpillphil3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am making my shuttle into a HTPC,

Has anyone tried to replaced the 80mm fan in it?

What fan did you use, and what were your temps?

cheers

2. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Wow, that's a question and a half really.

The temps will vary on the processor, whether you fit a separate graphics card, the HD temp etc. One of the bigger noise problems was the psu. Not sure on the latest models but earlier ones either had the owners replacing the psu fan or buying a new quieter psu.

I have a Papst psu fan, Noiseblocker cpu fan (S2 I think) and have the graphics card fan connected to a fanmate to reduce noise. Temps average around 45-50 and can climb to 55-60 if running graphic intensive jobs. Did have a Papst fitted which was about the same temp but slightly quieter (but fitted that on another PC so did'nt revert back to it).

Even today I saw a fanless graphics card and thought, hmmm quieter Shuttle???

Hope that's of interest/help.

Steve

3. Epithet

Epithet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the SB51G with P4 2.4 and a fanless ATI graphics card. I replaced the PSU fan with a quieter model. Can't remember the name of the fan, it was a £2.00 lucky find at a computer fair. I also replaced the 80mm fan with an Evercool model, again £2.00 from the same fair. Cconnected it to M/B via a fan-mate and reduced the max speed to about 1300 rpm. My shuttle is used for normal HTPC duties only and the temps never rise above about 40 to 45 degrees. The noisiest item on my Shuttle is the LITEON 812 DVD, rarely used as everthing is run from a hard drive on a networked PC. As Steve says, recent shuttles have quieter PSUs so you may only need to change/mod the 80mm fan.

Hope that's of some use.

Tony