Silent PSU

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
Or almost silent anyways. My current one is louder than 2 Xbox 360's sitting next to each other in a poorly ventilated area:D So I'm going to get a new one. My last PSU didn't make a sound (think it was fanless:confused:)

Anyways what a good one to get?

It will have a Q6600 processor, 4GIG of RAM, Geforce 8800GT, 3HDD's, 2IDE Drives to power. My current is a 550W one with 3 12v supplies. Can't remember the make/model and cannot be assed to look:cool:

andy1249

Distinguished Member
I recently built a system identical to yours , I used an OCZ power supply and its silent , what you should be looking for is a power supply with a 120mm fan with a noise level between 12dba and 22dba.

Heres a link to the one I got , any power supply fitting those specs should work , stay away from hiper and northq , they have problems other than noise.

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.aspx?sku=336401

This is a good site for getting specifications and information on a product , once youve decided you may find the product cheaper elsewhere.

Golliwogg

Standard Member
According the silentpc review, the new Enermax Modu82+ 625W (EMD625AWT) is the world's most silent PSU to date. But it's rather expensive, the cheapest i can find is at Amazon for £95 but it is out of stock.

Razor

Distinguished Member
Go for a Corsair psu. I have two 620 watt versions and both are silent. The 520 and 620 watt are the two best psu's to get in this range. The 750, 650 and 450 are slightly different are aren't as good. The 620/520 watt psu's are also modular.

:)

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
how good/useful would it be to get a PSU with a monitoing tool so I could monitor it in the bios/windows? Know my motherboard supports it as I've seen the option.

badbob

Banned
Most motherboards support voltage monitoring. It'll give you core voltage, +12, +5v, +3.33v etc

Speedfan is a good util to monitor voltages, as well as system temp and smart HD reporting.

overkill

Distinguished Member
The quietest PSU are the fanless type (obviously) but these have to be watched carefully for over heating. You MUST have a well vented case if you use one of these. QuietPC are happy with the Zalmans.

I'd go with the Corsairs (Seasonic OEM's) for quietness, my 520 is very quiet. Not that convinced about the voltages though. Having said that, they are very stable, and I've had (touch wood) no problems with it.

The Enermax range need a careful eye on them for reliability. The modular range has a bad rep.

tinners

yeah just buy the 620w corsair - £76.28 delivered (as an AVF member) on Scan Todayonly this weekend. Like Razor I have 2 of this type of PSU (1 in my HTPC) and they are inaudible.

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
yeah just buy the 620w corsair - £76.28 delivered (as an AVF member) on Scan Todayonly this weekend. Like Razor I have 2 of this type of PSU (1 in my HTPC) and they are inaudible.

might get one, it's minus VAT BTW comes to £85.41

Will probbaly just get the 520W one. Don't really need 620W and it's a fair bit cheaper.

Razor

Distinguished Member
might get one, it's minus VAT BTW comes to £85.41

Will probbaly just get the 520W one. Don't really need 620W and it's a fair bit cheaper.

Go for it mate. If your planning to upgrade in the future the 620watt is the better choice if not then go for the 520 version. Either way you will be pleased with the results. :smashin:

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
I'll cross that bridge if I come to it. As far as PC's go I never plan that far ahead as it's pretty likely I'll have changed everything before what I currently own gets to the point of being un-upgradable :)

overkill

Distinguished Member
I'll cross that bridge if I come to it. As far as PC's go I never plan that far ahead as it's pretty likely I'll have changed everything before what I currently own gets to the point of being un-upgradable :)
I'll go with that. If you don't need SLI or a high end 8000 series then there's no need to go nuts. As you say, by the time you next upgrade you'll need to yank it out again then anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom