1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silent Plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by RossC, May 29, 2003.

1. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Reason for asking is my new Toshiba 42PW27 isn't. And silent operation was one of the reasons for choosing this display...

Basically it is making a buzzing/busy-cricket chirping type noise, that comes and goes and seems to change with the screen intensity. The screen is firmly wall mounted (solid brick) and the noise can be heard over normal level TV (say the news for instance) and is driving us spare. Have taken the unit back and swapped it out to try another, but....ss this normal?

Thanks

Considered the Hitachi 400 (fans) and the Pioneer MXE (not such good blacks) before choosing the Toshiba.

2. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    My Panny is a noisy bugger too. It's not audible over normal TV and doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of movies. I thought they'd be silent too :(

D.

3. LeonidS

LeonidS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can find a lot of information about plasma noise in this forum - just search ... but summary - most of them are not silent at all.
    Pioneer seems to be the best in this respect... that's why I have chosen it ... but still waiting for it.

some people are using acoustic foam or just towel to decrease the noise level ( just install it behind the screen ) ... but this is not so easy to do if screen is wall mounted ( I guess ) ... but maybe something could be done.

4. tonymccandless

tonymccandless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    PIO 433MXE silent as the grave so far !!

5. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PIO433MXE has 2 fans on the back.
    there only auto enabled by the S/w when the thing gets hot.
    Mine like other users here has never come on.
    The temp Guage in the menus is always at its lowest (cool)
    even after hours of constant use.

So no sound whatsover.

I hope it supposed to behave this way ????

6. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Leonids

Where did you order from, is it 433 or 503MXE

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    RossC

Your Toshiba display is based upon the current Panasonic PWD5 chassis and whilst this chassis has no cooling fans it does tend to produce an audible hum when generating an all or near all white image - the level of noise can vary slightly between individual displays but they basically all exhibit some hum.

Deo

Both the PDP-433MXE and PDP-503MXE have two cooling fans and as Tony points out they are temperature controlled via the screens software menu and the 'normal' setting combined with a 'normal' room operating temperature will happily keep the fans switched off.

The Pioneer PDP-433HDE and PDP-503HDE PlasmaTV models dont have fans - though the Media Box does get pretty hot.

If you want a 'silent' Plasma Display or Plasma TV go Pioneer - I sometimes feel like some mad evangelist going on about fan noise and mechanical hum but I've learned over the years that many customers are very intolerant of any mechanical noise produced by kit that they have to live with.

Best regards

Joe

8. LeonidS

LeonidS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have ordered it from EmpireDirect during discount weekend - could not resist the price :) ... but still waiting :(

9. RedRose

RedRose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought a 50" Panasonic last November but the sound of the fans and the PSU buzzing drove me to distraction. I really can't get inside the head of anybody who is willing to pay £5K+ for something which will be the focal point of their living room and then make up excuses for the din that it makes. It may be that I'm just intolerant, but if we put up with low standards of quality then why should the manufacturers bother to improve their products?
    Anyhoo, I voted with my feet and swapped it for a 503MXE. Completely silent, the fans have never ever come on. Its a superb piece of kit and I recommend it to anybody. I'd say that the PQ of the Panasonic is 5% better-whatever that means to you- but the silence is worth it.
    If we all had the same criteria and budget then I guess we'd all have bought the same product.

10. nhk

nhk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This subject caused me quite some delay before placing my order for a plasma. It seems there are so many varying opinions.

I was very concerned that the 50" Panny with its "constantly on" fans would make viewing at night unpleasant. However, I took the advice from some more experienced people on the forum and went for the Panny over the Pioneer on the picture quality.

In hindsight (or perhaps I am just lucky), I am very satisfied and can hardly hear the fan of the 50". I previously had a 42" Panny on loan and the power supply buzzing was audible (especially when the unit displayed bright images).

The 50" has virtually no buzzing and I must say a very quiet fan. I can definitely hear it on start-up (a slight whoosh) and then it settles to inaudibility. It does give me some comfort to know that the unit is being cooled down though.

Regards

11. rwmcjazz

rwmcjazz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the Panny's fans will start making more noise as they collect dust and dirt from the air in the room. Blow the fans clean with a compressed air can while holding a vaccum brush against fan cover area as you use the compressed air. Otherwise, you'll have to remove the back panel, and that will be a major pain in the a%^$#s.

12. BJQ1972

BJQ1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    I'm not sure they will still be having the problem.

13. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    lol probably had 5 new tvs since 2003 but still, advice is always appreciated

14. mancs

mancs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    why does my panny th-42pw4 not make a noise? its like 10 years old and not only is it silent it still looks great *smug grin*

15. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Your hearing must be shot - it’s an aging thing; gets us all :devil:

Joe

16. mancs

mancs
    Banned