Silent Calls from No. 00000000000 ?

Steve N

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite being on the register for no solicited calls we still get some, especially the automated ones.

Lately we've had a few where the callers No has been a series of 0's.

This is a new one on me.
Needless to say, there's no-one there when you answer.

Anyone know who/what this is so I can waste my time by trying to contact them and then trying to get them to desist.

About time this sort of thing was outlawed. It's practically harrassment :mad:

Last edited:
After I'd posted the phone went and it was them again. This time there was someone there trying to interest me in a "Golden Opportunity" to clear all my debts without having to take out any loans blah, blah, blah.

I strung them along to try and get their details of who they are and contact numbers.
They did admit to being an Indian based call centre but would need to get their "Financial Advisory Expert" to call me after they had all my details.
I told them I'd call them back at a better time but they were too cagey so in the end I told them I wasn't interested and not to call me again.

We'll see if that's an end to them but somehow I doubt it :mad:

We been getting a lot of indian call centre type things lattly to.
First was straight in with out records show you have some unsecured debts we can help you, first confirm to us what they are. Me being the sod i am when someone is wasting my time tryed to sell her a new kitchen. She soon hung up:rotfl:

Seems to be a growing problem though and a lot of family who have these things blocked are still getting them. It worrys me how many people could get robbed by them.

Slightly Off Topic. We had an unsolicited "silent" call at the weekend, but I could hear young children laughing and giggling in the background. I put the phone down but when I picked it up again we were still connected. Shouting down the phone to "please hang up the phone" had no effect, I even put the phone down next to the hifi for a few minutes at full blast to attract their attention, still to no effect. Came back a while later and we had a dialling tone so I rang 1471 to see who had called us so I could decide whether to ring them back and give them a piece of my mind. The computer voice at the other end happily read out my mobile phone number to me while my face got redder and redder with embarrasment :blush: It was in my pocket at the time, so it was my own children I could hear in the background...

Dave

Slightly Off Topic. We had an unsolicited "silent" call at the weekend, but I could hear young children laughing and giggling in the background. I put the phone down but when I picked it up again we were still connected. Shouting down the phone to "please hang up the phone" had no effect, I even put the phone down next to the hifi for a few minutes at full blast to attract their attention, still to no effect. Came back a while later and we had a dialling tone so I rang 1471 to see who had called us so I could decide whether to ring them back and give them a piece of my mind. The computer voice at the other end happily read out my mobile phone number to me while my face got redder and redder with embarrasment :blush: It was in my pocket at the time, so it was my own children I could hear in the background...

Dave

:rotfl:

Great stuff.

Dave

pmsl. I'm not sure that's something you should be admitting on a public forum. Funny though :D

Me being the sod i am when someone is wasting my time tryed to sell her a new kitchen. She soon hung up:rotfl:.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Have to try that :D

I find the whocallsme website generally fairly helpful for finding out further details about unwanted or unknown calls.

Phone Call Comments

"This is a user supplied database of phone numbers of telemarketers, non-profit organizations, charities, political surveyors, SCAM artists, and other companies that don't leave messages, disconnect once you answer, ignore the Do-Not-Call List regulations, and simply interrupt your day."

The above "quoted" text has been lifted directly off the whocallsme website

Anyone with an ISDN business connection can set it up to send any Caller ID number they choose. Sounds like the OP's caller just entered the zeroes just so they sent something as caller ID. The chances of tracing them are slim unless you can find someone, maybe on a forum, who has answered the call and tracked down the name of the company.

Long before the TPS and free caller display,i used to get loads of nuisance calls as my name was at the top of the page in the phone book.Most of the time it was the conservatories and windows or kitchens mobs and i had two answers:
1.The house is new so not needed
2.I am thinking about a conservatory so send someone round and i would arrange a time with them.

I never got the buzzer for the controlled entry at the time i arranged as this would be down to the salesperson noticing that they were going to a three storey block of flats.It wasn`t my fault that BT never put the flat position in the book.
I did tell the new owner this when i sold and they got the phone book changed-to stop the calls i presume.

.....i used to get loads of nuisance calls as my name was at the top of the page in the phone book....
You're not ........ Aaron Aardvark ! are you ? :D

Anyone with an ISDN business connection can set it up to send any Caller ID number they choose. Sounds like the OP's caller just entered the zeroes just so they sent something as caller ID. The chances of tracing them are slim unless you can find someone, maybe on a forum, who has answered the call and tracked down the name of the company.

I thought if connected to BT it only lets you send numbers you have registered, but if coming from India I guess you can set whatever you want.

The OP may be able to get BT to block calls from 00000000000

I generally won't answer the phone if I don't recognise the number and I'm not expecting a call from somebody I don't know personally. A couple of years ago, I had some joker calling my mobile phone about 3 times a day. In the end, I created an answer phone message which produced a deafening racket so the next time he/she called I rejected it and subjected them to the pain. They never called again.

I signed up for BT's no-call-spam but was still getting quite a few. No caller id display on my phone (I have an old one) so I always pick up. Needless to say it was very annoying until I figured out a great way to waste their time without wasting mine:

Salesperson: Good morning madam, how are you today?
Me: *brightly* Fine, how are you?
Salesperson: *surprised at friendly response* I'm fine thank you ma'am. I'm calling you today about a great offer ... *sales blurb continues*
Me: *after listening politely to first line of blurb* Wow! That sounds really interesting, can you hang on a minute while I get my husband? He deals with all the finances you see.
Salesperson: *in good mood now* Sure, no problem
Me: I'll be right back! *presses secrecy button and wanders off*

They usually hang about for 7-10 minutes before eventually figuring out I'm not coming back. Meanwhile, I keep doing whatever I was doing until I hear the phone "siren" telling me the line is dead.

Time invested by me: approx. 30 seconds
Time lost to them: up to 10 minutes
Petty satisfaction gained by me: priceless

I signed up for BT's no-call-spam but was still getting quite a few. No caller id display on my phone (I have an old one) so I always pick up. Needless to say it was very annoying until I figured out a great way to waste their time without wasting mine:

Salesperson: Good morning madam, how are you today?
Me: *brightly* Fine, how are you?
Salesperson: *surprised at friendly response* I'm fine thank you ma'am. I'm calling you today about a great offer ... *sales blurb continues*
Me: *after listening politely to first line of blurb* Wow! That sounds really interesting, can you hang on a minute while I get my husband? He deals with all the finances you see.
Salesperson: *in good mood now* Sure, no problem
Me: I'll be right back! *presses secrecy button and wanders off*

They usually hang about for 7-10 minutes before eventually figuring out I'm not coming back. Meanwhile, I keep doing whatever I was doing until I hear the phone "siren" telling me the line is dead.

Time invested by me: approx. 30 seconds
Time lost to them: up to 10 minutes
Petty satisfaction gained by me: priceless

:rotfl: Tried this when i was under the influence, lol once i shouted "Hi is that the police :censored: , I think I :censored: killed her, I hit her in the head with a Frying Pan , oh my god she's alive ... 2 minutes i need to go do something , and hit the Frying pan on the Wall :D.... stifling my cries of laughter .. i finish the conversion with "yeah erm she's not in can i take a message"

:) random but makes a change from having to turn down double glazing sales daily :rolleyes:

Despite being on the register for no solicited calls we still get some, especially the automated ones.

Lately we've had a few where the callers No has been a series of 0's.

This is a new one on me.
Needless to say, there's no-one there when you answer.

Anyone know who/what this is so I can waste my time by trying to contact them and then trying to get them to desist.

About time this sort of thing was outlawed. It's practically harrassment :mad:
You're right it shouldn't happen. I get a lot of calls I dont want to answer. I have one of these on order.
trueCall - your nuisance call blocker
I hope they do as good a job as the reviews say. Available on Amazon for £69.99, which is where I ordered mine from. Worth a read up even if you dont want one.

I get calls once a day at dinner time from 0000000000 and 44208 (that's all that appears on caller I'd). 44208 is a survey which is from the same guy from India, who wants to ask me questions bpabout my television, car insurance, white goods, etc, as part of a market survey. Before I used to politely say I have guests, but now that I know his 'number' I simply will not pick it up.

In terms of 0000000000, they only called once,picked it up and nothing, so it's a silent call.

Another one that used to call me was 0161 850 0910, asking me for my DOB. Called twice, once for me, and one asking for the wife's DOB. Never called again. Since the dob scam piggybacks off an innocent 0161 number, I'll try calling them and asking for their personal details.

If anyone is thinking of changing their ADSL router, can I suggest they consider the Fritzbox. As well as being an ADSL2 router, it is a DECT base station and SIP interface. It also allows you to manage your telephone calls. You can set up a list of calls to reject, either by "no caller ID" or else by individual phone number or prefix. This works both for "normal" phone lines and SIP lines. Very useful. As it logs all calls, once you have been bothered, you can add that number "to the list".

I'm getting automated message calls too, darn annoying.

Does my DGTeam DG834 have similar feature to that Fritzbox?

I think there should be a dect phone system (maybe already exists) that allows you to stop these calls. Even though technically they still come through ,when then phone knows it's 44208, it will not pick it up or play a message, said by me :p

Another annoying one is 0845 (xxx) 1111. Calls up and a robotic woman reads out a message, mispronouncing things and is very spooky. Apparently is BT VoiceText service. Even though I'm not with BT anymore! If you're dumb enough to send SMS messages to a landline phone, you really do have problems. Sometimes it's HOF telling me my fridge will be delivered at 2pm, once she said hi all, this is my new number: 07xxxxxxxx, from someone I don't even know! About twice voice text came up and said This is James from CSL (not the sofa company). I need to talk to you urgently on (number). Go to hell, James! If you need to talk to me, why not actually call rather than go through the voice text woman.

The best answer is at trueCall - your nuisance call blocker

Not cheap but very efficient.

If you have an evil streak and the caller is female, pretend to be a perve (some may not have to pretend) and ask her what she is wearing, getting increasingly intimate until she hangs up.

Hi new member here.
I found your thread via an internet search. I've been having calls from 00 which are silent. It's happened twice today and once a few days ago. I've got Caller Preference which clearly hasn't covered it. Any more suggestions anybody please, that won't cost me a fortune? Retired and penniless here.

Do you have caller-display?

You can configure some phones not to ring for certain numbers.

No, I haven't. Talk Talk charge for that and it just isn't worth it for me. I've always been happy with just 1471 but these silent calls are un-nerving especially as I live alone and am knocking up the years rather rapidly.

Today's first call was at 11.30 followed by another one at 11.42. I had answered the first one but was in the garden when the phone rang the second time and didn't get back into the house in time. I wondered whether it might be a burglar checking to find whether there was anybody in or not so have been waiting with my mobile handy in case I need to phone the police.

I don't want to not answer calls as I've begun to work as a fundraiser for a charity - no I don't phone anybody to do this, not a single one. Would rather poke my eyes out than be such a nuisance. I just offer schemes like the Weather Lottery and suchlike on specific forums that are populated by people in the interest field - and have quite a few incoming calls from colleagues at the charity that I can't afford to miss. So any hints that would help would be welcome, but I need to be able to afford whatever it might be. V limited pension due to having had to retire early because of illness

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom