1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

silencing my Shutlle SN45G

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by chilpillphil3, Jun 23, 2004.

1. chilpillphil3

chilpillphil3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently made myself a nice new Shuttle SN45G PC which i am very happy with.

It has the following components

AMD ATHLON 2800+ (barton core) Clock speed at 2.08GHZ
    512MB DDR 3200 Crucial RAM
    160 GB Maxtor 7200 RPM Hard drve
    ATI radon 9200+ Graphics Card.
    Cheap CD/RW

I am looking into making it silent so i can use it as a HTPC. I have looked at the problem over the last couple of days and i have worked out there are two causes of the noise.

1. The PSU
    2. The ICE Heatpipe fan.

I can replace the PSU with a silentX one, if no-one has any cheaper idea so it leaves the only problem.

This is the ICE heatpipe Fan, Can i replace this with a different one? You kind of have to understand how this specaiil ICE technolgy works and im sure you lot all do. I have put it on its slowest settings and its still making a noise so any ideas?

Any help much appreciated.

2. kotlewm

kotlewm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I replaced the PSU with a silentx, and it's better but not massively quieter. As for the ICE fan, there are lots of choice of 80mm fans that slot straight in. I went for a sharkoon. Have a look at http://forums.sfftech.com for loads of threads on hushing shuttles. This made a much bigger difference to noise levels.

I'd also recommend downloading speedfan from here: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php this will give you greater control over the fan speeds and enable you to monitor the temps.

The other small mod I have done is to line the case with dynamat to dampen down vibrations.

Martin.

3. chilpillphil3

chilpillphil3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had speedfan for awhile, can you give me some tips because im not sure really how to use it.

And do you think its worth replacing the PSU or not, i suppose if i am to go for it i might aswell..

How easy is it to fit that fan, and how quiet is your pc now?

4. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    First thing i did was take the 80mm fan out the heatpipe and replace it with a quiet sanyo denki one from ocuk.
    You can only here it on bootup as its at full speed then but while running it is totally silent even after playing Farcry for hours.

The psu as still anoying and I will replace with the silent X too.

They dont have the quiet Sanyo Denki anymore but the 80mm Vantec Stealth will be a good choice for you.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Vantec.html

5. chilpillphil3

chilpillphil3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks,

The most intensive game i currently play is GTA vice city and the fan increase when the CPU hits 52 degrees.

Is this wise? is there any good fan control software?

Ia it simple to change the fan?

EDIT: A final question, Would you recomend any fan over any others from Overclockers?

6. chilpillphil3

chilpillphil3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A couple more things i've noticed, sometimes the fan speeds up for a few seconds then slows, how can i stop this?

And whats a good tempreture for an Athlon 2800+ to run at?

7. kotlewm

kotlewm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think the noise of the fan speed varying is more annoying than a consistently faster running fan. I would therefore setup your speedfan so that it keeps the fan running at a speed that is quick enough to remain consistent during normal use.

So what you want to do in speedfan is to first of all setup the temp limits in the configuration tab. I get nervous above 50degs so have set my desired at 48, and my warning at 50. Then go into the speeds tab and try setting the minimum fan speed to be as low as possible. I can get away with 2% as a minimum with my Sharkoon, and not have any speed pulsing even during max load.

Finally, tick the box for automatic fan speed, and copy a shortcut for the speedfan into your startup folder, so it will load automatically at bootup.

With regards to changing the fan it's dead simple, unscrew the old one from the ice assembly and refit the new one. As for which is best? I'm a bit out of touch so check out the sfftech forum for up to date info. There are some shuttle enthusiasts that hang out there that really know their stuff.

Hope this helps.

Martin.

8. chilpillphil3

chilpillphil3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks,

couple more questions

Doesnt speedfan go back to 100% when you close it?

Is there anyway to change the scale it works on? IE for my its either 1% off 2% too loud.

What does the warning alarm sound like?

Can you set i to shutdown a certain temp?

9. kotlewm

kotlewm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hiya,

Doesnt speedfan go back to 100% when you close it?

You shouldn't close it, only minimise it. There is a tick-box to start minimised so that it doesn't appear at all.

Is there anyway to change the scale it works on? IE for my its either 1% off 2% too loud.

Afraid not, but this should be loss of a problem when you get a quieter fan.

What does the warning alarm sound like?

I don't think it makes a noise, rather the icon changes it's appearance to flames.

Can you set i to shutdown a certain temp?

Don't think so.

Cheers

Martin.