Silence of the Lambs Criterion - why buy?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by ollie501, Mar 26, 2006.

1. ollie501

ollie501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Looking at the prices for the Criterion release of Silence of the Lambs, it is obviously fairly collectable. (See Here for prices)
    Looking on DVD Compare, and DVD Beaver, the Criterion release appears to be, well...a bit rubbish. It's not anamorphic, it's stereo, has no subtitles...
    The only thing I can see in it's favour is a commentary, and I really can't understand paying up to $70 for the priviledge of that.

Are people doing a "Rolls Royce", and simply buying it because it has the Criterion name slapped on it, or is the commentary so outstanding that it justifies the cost?

Just interested in what everyone thinks, so post away!

2. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=60141

the criterion edition seems to be the only version that has the correct colour scheme and it has an exclusive commentry track, so i suppose a couple of valid reasons. shame the new UE don't have the same colours

criterion don't put on soundtracks other than the original normally, thus the stereo and not 5.1 (criterion took the man who feel to earch transfer from anchor bay, added some extras, but removed the 5.1 DTS and DD mix, meaning you have to have 2 copies if you want the new mix, you can't just settle for criterion as the "ultimate" edition in some cases)

there probably also is the criterion collectors, buying just for the name, pushing up higher

3. Mr Jolly

Mr Jolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    Also don't forget BOTH U.k. R2 editions have some serious flaws. The original double disc release has player generated subtitles for locations during the film. I purchased the Ultimate Edition on its day of release to find that they have not adressed the subtitle issue, plus there is a glitch at approx 30 minutes into the film which was apparently also on the Belgian R2 and has not been corrected. As with the Belgian Ultimate Edition there are several cast and crew titles missing from the beginning of the film as well as the film's main title:thumbsdow
    It beggars belief that they knew about these faults and then let an "Ultimate Edition" onto the market where the main feature is actually worse than the previous release!!

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Mr Ollie,

The other main reason that the "Criterion" disc is so in-demand by "Silence..." fans, is because it contains several scenes and alternative versions of scenes, in the actual movie, that are not in any other print available to buy or watch!

Check out the IMDB here, for more details. :)

Pooch

5. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    i didn't know that. so it's a different cut/edit of the movie? imdb didn't make that clear, whilst it says the dvd includes those alt/longer scenes, doesn't it mean as part of the bonus footage, rather than in the movie? i don't recall reading about that elsewhere - mind i think the movie is ok, i'm not a huge fan or anything. i'd get shot if i said i prefer the other films instead :D

6. danjaq

danjaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Makes buying a version of a film less than staright forward!

I haven't got this on DVD yet, just been waiting for a copy I think I will be happiest with. Looks like maybe a copy of the Criterian and then the UE will pretty much do it. Although are the distributors going to sort out the problems with the UK UE .. is there a disc replacement procedure? If not, is there an R1 UE without these problems?

Thanks.

7. ollie501

ollie501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Mr Ollie? Wow, I feel like I've gone up the world! Now, bring me pipe and slippers!! :rotfl:
    I didn't know that "Silence" had additional scenes, but then I didn't know it didn't have a 5.1 soundtrack to begin with. Having watched the Special Edition a couple of nights ago, it may well be worth going for the Criterion. The 5.1 sound is all well and good, but the colour definately doesn't look right, and as for the player generated subs replacing the X-Files style titling, the less said about that, the better.
    The final clincher is the "sticky-disc" issue on the MGM disc... It looked as though it had been dipped in treacle!

I thought it odd that a Criterion release would be poor; the few Criterion releases I have are stunning.

I think I'll hang onto my MGM for the extra's, but for the film itself... out comes the wallet!

Cheers to everyone for the advice and opinions. Now where are my pipe and slippers... you've had plenty of time! :D

8. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    some of the earlier criterion editions are non anamorphic (i think this is)

i also noticed someone on the forums was advertising a copy of the criterion SOTL for £30 just yesterday, so you could search for that

9. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    http://www.zetaminor.com/dvd/dvdreviews/silence_x_3.htm

theres a good comparison here, but no mention of the film itself being a different cut on the criterion edition. i think the references to longer takes etc are in reference to the seperate bonus material. i would have imagined such an in depth comparison would mention if the film differed between dvds

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

I can promise you, one-and-all, that the Criterion SOTL disc, has the alternate/extended scenes, included in the film itself. :lesson: They are not "bonus featurettes", "extras", "branched-in-scenes" or anything like that. They are incorporated into the movie. And I know this, because I did own the Criterion disc a few months back, but sold it. So, if you are a big fan of the film, it's worth getting this particular disc, as it is very unique, and offers a different version of the movie, compared to any of the UK releases. Also, the Criterion version, has never been released anywhere else, on any home viewing format! It was an oddity, for sure.

Pooch

11. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    thanks for the clarification. i think i'll keep my eye out on a cheap copy of this. i got all the other titles for £5 (double discs too) so i don't think i can justify forking out a lot of money for a different cut

12. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    No, they're not. I just watched the Criterion commentary today, and checked the special features at the end of the movie. Each of the alternate/extended scenes you mention are in the 'Deleted Scenes' section, and they have textual comments which mention where to contrast with the version of the scene in the movie.

13. danjaq

danjaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    This is all too confusing!

Are all the Criterion ones non-anormporphic please?

14. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Yes, the Criterion is non-anamorphic.

15. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    hmmm, sounds like pooch is the only person on the internet who thinks the criterion edition is a longer/different cut

does anyone else have anything to confirm either way?

16. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    As Pooch said, he sold the Criterion edition a while ago, so it's probably an easy mistake to make. I watched the film today, specifically to check as I hadn't seen the Criterion in a couple of years, and was amazed it would be a non-theatrical cut.

The extra scenes are definitely there, but they are definitely not part of the movie, and are only included in the deleted scenes.

17. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    I bought this edition for the commentary as I think it's one of the best films ever made, the commentary was interesting but the PQ was rubbish, specks and pops all over the show, seemingly changes in brightness throughout too!

I'll put on my R2 MGM version to compare.

Liam

18. quarry2006

quarry2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    The zeta minor article mentions the Criterion edition having a "deleted snippet" not available anywhere else. Anyone know what this might be?

19. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,605
    See links at the bottom of this page

And I bought the "definitive edition" blind :p It comes in a metal case m'kay :p

20. philbam

philbam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    Interesting to read this thread. I originally had the criterion region one edition but sold it on (for about £2.50 if I remember correctly),mainly due to the very poor quality picture and no 5.1 sound.
    Replaced it a couple of years ago for the region 2, 5.1 version. Far superior in both picture quality and sound reproduction, but still not reference by any stretch of the imagination.

21. quarry2006

quarry2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Ta. So no extra bt in the film, then? That's fine; I'd be more tempted to buy a third version of the film (already have both MGM versions - the fold-out s/e and the metal tin u/e) if I thought it had a difference in the theatrical presentation (although those subtitles are ugly and I do prefer the Criterion transfer).

22. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +306
    While I agree it's a shame that the Criterion is one of their early non-anamorphic releases, I'd never get rid of it as it's the only version available that looks like the film I remember seeing in the cinema back then. The colour timing is just so wrong on the later releases and the player generated captions are awful.