Signing up for XBOX live ?

You'll probably need to give your ISP the MAC address of your Xbox (shown in one of the Live setup screens) before they'll allow it to connect. I did with Telewest anyhow. But other than that you should be ready to r&r.

I went for a netgear 814 from dsl wharehouse - £130, as it has a modem built in you could flog your other one on ebay and get back some of your costs.

Just had an email from MS saying my live pack had been shiped - not bad, ordered 2 days ago

Mine shipped yesterday as well. :D

On a related note, anyone know of the UK release date of NFL2K3? I'm itching to get a Live-enabled game, but I don't know how long I have to wait for this one.

:(

Router with built in modem.....LAN hub

Help........:blush:

My starter kit is on it's way but I've still to decide on which BB company, initially thought of Freeserve who say that Xbox live isn't compatible - just covering themselves?

They also say that there may be issues with broadband as I have the telephone socket in place by using an extension, it works fine with my normal internet connection currently, so should BB make a difference? and also they said that you need 800k to run XBL, where Freeserve only provides 512k??

My PC is in the room next to the "games room" and I had planned on just running the ethernet connection from the router to the xbox

I went for a netgear 814 from dsl wharehouse - £130, as it has a modem built in

If I went for this would I then only need filters and the necessary wires rather than buying the package offerd by an ISP and then having to fork out for a router as well?

From confused....:(

I signed up yesterday and had a quick go on MotoGP online. It was great, with no lag noticeable to me with a full field of riders.

What connection speed is everyone using?

Will ntl 128k suffice?

Any lag?

Typical ping?

Cheers

my live apck is spose to be here sometime 2day according to u.p.s
but where is it :confused:

I'm using ntl 600K connection - I believe that 500 and above is recommended, and ntl's 128K offering has been singled out as unsuitable.

just got my pack :)

just got told by Pipex that I can't get ADSL :(

Mine arrived today, just in time for a weekend full of MotoGP. To say that the last few hours of work are going slow would be an understatement.

i must have got the most incompetant person @ups.i even phoned them.they said its out for delivery.i mean who delivers @this time.he probably took it home with him to use :mad:

I'm using ntl 600K connection - I believe that 500 and above is recommended

Thanks Carl

just got told by Pipex that I can't get ADSL

So what can you do now common?
Is that because you are slightly out of the exchange area?

well me package came @5.40pm after 2 phone calls to ups:D i was just off to pub aswell.so now i`ll see how good i`am @motogp

Just lost a day and a half on XBL....

Started with UC (died lots...) friday morning, then the kit arrived yesterday afternoon so onto MotoGP:) until 4am this morning. Had no problems signing up and the kit arrived within a couple of days.

Very impressed with the voice quality too. (600K NTL cable modem)

So much for taking a day off for Xmas shopping.

See you guys in there....

Yeah, got home last night, and after a relatively painless signup, I was playing til midnight. Very cool, and a very cool bunch online.

My X-Box even had my old custom bike from when I rented MotoGP ages ago. Only problem is, my bike is better than I am, so I wipe out a lot... a lot!

Not a big fan of Unreal, so I'm waiting on a few sports titles to really get into it. I'll probably pick up the full version of MotoGP though.

One really weird thing is that it's a forum of just X-Box owners. We were chatting in between races the other day and somebody brought up the PS2. It was hilarious to hear everyone trash it saying that it's past its prime and the X-Box is the only way to go.

I'm not posting this to start anything, but it's just that it's interesting to hear a viewpoint that isn't the majority. The majority being, PS2 is great, etc, etc.

Ordered by XBOX Live Kit

It arrived, I plugged it in and signed up.

:D

The only problem I have is that my broadband router that I bought specifically for this doesn't seem to work (Edimax 4 port broadband router).

Can anybody suggest one that is compatible with XBOX Live and Blueyonder 1Mbit. My PC uses Windows XP Pro. I am considering the Belkin one as MS say that it is compatible with XBOX Live.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Trent24

First-off, have you phoned BlueYonder with the MAC address of your router? If you haven't then they won't have registered it for your connection and you won't get anywhere at all. When they installed your cable modem they will have registered the MAC address of the network card you were using which is why that can connect.

Second, there is - somewhere - on the Official UK Xbox Site a list of routers which MS has tested as compatible with Live, as well as a list of ones that are definitely not compatible. Suggest looking it up here.

Hope this is of use.

Thanks for your reply, I have had fun and games with this one!

I don't know if I have just not setup the router correctly but according to the manual you just plug in, register the MAC addresses and go.

The router doesn't have a visible EWAN MAC address that I can find, you seem to have to clone a MAC address to get it to work. I have cloned the MAC address of my PC and of the LAN MAC address that the router has and I get all the IP and DNS numbers as I should showing in the modem. I just can't get anything other than MS Messenger and AOL Messenger working on my PC. No web access and no POP3/SMTP access.

If I plug either the XBOX or the PC directly into the cable modem they work fine.

Any ideas??

Trent24

Ummmm...I'm not an expert.
But it sounds like the router might be blocking some 'ports' but not others. Is this something you can configure with the software that comes with the router? It might have most stuff blocked by default as a security measure.

That's what I thought but nothing appears to be blocked :(

Oh well, lets see what the Belkin is like.

Trent24

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom