Signing for deaf people on C4 via Freeview

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by cebs_uk, Jan 25, 2004.

1. cebs_uk

cebs_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +417
    Hi

During last nights East is East and now during Hollyoaks there has been someone signing away in the bottom corner.

No settings have been changed in the menus and I can't find any related to this anyway, if i change to 4 without the freeview the man/women is gone but I am stuck with a letterbox picture.

If anyone is getting this could they let me know and if anyone knows how to get round it please let us all know.

Maybe its a special weekend on C4 but there is no info on their website.

Thanks in advance

Cebs Uk

2. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's been signing on a lot of C4 freeview programmes for as long as I have had the box. I actually came on here to see if it bugged anyone else because I think it's bloody annoying, especially during films like East is East.

There's subtitles for the deaf why do they enforce signing on everyone else?

3. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Pardon...

4. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Seriously though, it's a great service to offer but you should be able to turn it on/off..!

5. whitcat

whitcat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My TV is only used as a monitor but this annoying signing person was on both Freeview and Telewest digital. Thankfully my VCR is tuned to the analogue stations so it was brought out of semi-retirement.

I wouldn't want to alienate the deaf community as this could have been of benefit to them, but it seems excessive to inflict a DOG taking up a massive part of the screen on everyone.

I don't know whether interactive facilities could deal with this sort of thing in the future. However, come analogue switch off I expect C4 couldn't get away with keeping the signing like this. The advertisers wouldn't be happy if a couple of million viewers chose to switch off despite thousands of extra deaf viewers.

6. cebs_uk

cebs_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +417
    Thanks for all the posts, glad it is not just my kit acting up.

I agree in that it is very useful for deaf people but how hard would it be to include an option to turn it off.

I bought my freeview to get a good anamorphic image and I lose that once I change back to the rf pass through.

I take it that C4 on sky doesn't have this problem so why should freeview?

Also is there a pattern to the programs that it is on?

I presume that ER and friends won't be affected but then again East is East was a big film to show with the signing.

As long as they leave NYPD Blue and OZ/Homicide alone if they ever show the last two again I will survive !!!

7. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But as I've pointed out all TV stations have provided a similar service for the deaf or hard of hearing fo years, they are called subtitles and can be switched and on and off even more easily on Freeview.