1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signal Strength

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by johndj1, Aug 27, 2003.

1. johndj1

johndj1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've been experiencing Technical Fault with this Channel and No Satellite Signal being Recieved messages for the last couple of weeks which intermittently seems to be on the high band channels (Sky One, MTV etc) whilst the traditionally crap channels (BBC, ITV) are fine.

I've done some research through the forums already and concensus seems to be the following. It is either:
    1. Poor dish alignment
    2. LNB Skewage
    3. Dodgy Cables
    4. Dodgy STB

I've checked the signal and it looks fine (about 70% for strength and 60% for quality). However, these are greyed out?? Additionally the cable comes pretty much straight into the house from the dish and runs under the floorboards to the STB. It hasn't rained for weeks anyway.

Armed with this info it would be great if someone could let me know whether I can get up a ladder this weekend to sort it out, or whether the STB (pace) looks like the culprit?

Any response welcomed.

Thanks

Dan

2. johndj1

johndj1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for the additional message but am keen to know the answer to my question on error msgs coming up on my TV.

At the moment I have a "No Satellite Signal Being Received" and "Technical Problem" on the majority of channels (although BBC1, 2 and ITV are fine.

The signal strength and quality are 70% and 60% respectively but appear in grey (is this right?)

If this is fine then I am assuming it is the box, but before I pay the £65 it would be great if someone could confirm my suspicions. Or do you think I could resolve it by fiddling with the LNB and/or dish.

If you could let me know asap that would be great.

Sorry to hassle

Dan

3. Robbie34

Robbie34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Do you have a Panasonic box, because this, apparently, is a common fault?

4. johndj1

johndj1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, it's a Pace. Although I did used to have this problem with a previous Grundig box.

If anyone can confirm that my suspicions around the box are justified then I'll just get the Sky man in. Do the signal strength and quality sound okay?

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Signal levels seem fine although I am not sure what you mean by grey, are you just referring to the colour of the bars against the dark blue background? If so then that's normal:)
    Since you are receving some channels then the system is showing a lock on the satellite?
    Network ID..............0002
    Transport Stream....07d4

This still points to a problem with high/low band switching which is either the LNB, cable or the digibox.
    Always worth the effort to take your digibox to a friends house and try it on their dish to see if the problem follows the box or stays with your dish/lnb setup.

6. johndj1

johndj1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Starburst.

Almost gonna do that in that I'm going to borrow an STB from work and try it at home this weekend.

I'll let you know what occurs

Thanks

Dan