Signal Strength / Quality.

I

infra001

Hello!

Both my input 1 and input 2 signal strengths are half way, and the quality is abit higher, about 2/3 of the way.

If the signal strength gets any lower will I notice problems?
I'm using SkyHD with a 32" Panny.

Signal quality is the important one.........and yours is fine!
regards
D.

I've 50% strength and 60% quality on input 1 and 60/60 on input 2. I get the odd break up and had it installed yesterday.

I told the installer that it wasn't good enough but he was adamant it was. He took the old dish down that I installed which had 70% strength and quality. I have concerns that the twin cable is losing too much signal.

I hate that twin cable - I find it much better to just use 2 CT100 equivelents. The only relaible meter to guage your signal strength and quality are our professional meters as every box will give a different reading one way or another. Sometimes doind a force download can improve the readings on the Sky's signal meter.

Signal strength IS important as it shows any flaws in the cable but a signal halfway shouldn't be anything to worry about. If you have your old LNBs still - try swapping them back onto the dish and see if it increases the signal on feed 1. If it does then maybe the dish needs peaking or the Quad LNB is 'Lazy'.

A bigger dish of course would improve all signal readings. Cheers, Franc

I hate that twin cable - I find it much better to just use 2 CT100 equivelents.

When I asked the installer why he didn't use CT100 he told me that the twin cable is better since it has foam inside. He then proceeded to tell me that he uses CT100 on long runs! I wish the installer never removed my single run of CT100 that I put up in the autumn.

I phoned Sky to complain about the picture breaking up and was told that the twin cable IS CT100 with a thinner core.

What rubbish!

When I asked the installer why he didn't use CT100 he told me that the twin cable is better since it has foam inside. He then proceeded to tell me that he uses CT100 on long runs! I wish the installer never removed my single run of CT100 that I put up in the autumn.

I phoned Sky to complain about the picture breaking up and was told that the twin cable IS CT100 with a thinner core.

What rubbish!

If the twin cable has a thinner core then it would be loose inside the satelite recievers connetor and would be have a higher resistence and therfor drop more signal.

Both my sky+ boxes have a CT100 equivlent cable. My box has RG6 because it was shuch a short run and virtualy none of it is exposed to outdoor conditions but the other has a cable run right round the house and is CT100. all the inputis on the boxes read 70-80% strength and 90% quality. When I get a HD box the installer will not be touching my dish!!

What rubbish!

The trouble with that twin stuff is that a stray hammer blow, missing the tack, can result in duff cable from day one. It IS definitely not as good, I know as I have had to replace it within a week of Sky fitting it! The fact that it is foam filled or air filled is of no importance. My single cable is foam filled too! I would never use it on my or any of my customers - even if they asked for it.

Cheers, Franc

To Franc:

I had 2 Pace PVR3's multiroom Sky+. Took one out this am for a Thomson HD box.

Pace PVR3 I'm left with has about 80% quality and strength

Thomson I've now got is on about 50% quality and strength

Pace that was taken out to swap for the HD box also gave me 80% readings in both.

Any ideas? Should I be concerned?

Another signal question. My strength in one and two is showing about 50%, and the quality is about 30%. My dish is a couple of years old, and is the 45cm one. Should I replace the dish with the larger type, if so, is there any particular cable I should use?.
Sorry to intrude on this thread, but I think the OP has been answered, and it saves a new thread on the same subject.

Another signal question. My strength in one and two is showing about 50%, and the quality is about 30%. My dish is a couple of years old, and is the 45cm one. Should I replace the dish with the larger type, if so, is there any particular cable I should use?.
Sorry to intrude on this thread, but I think the OP has been answered, and it saves a new thread on the same subject.

Anyone able to answer this:lesson: :hiya: :lease:

yeh me too.

Input 1 - Strength 50%
Quality - 20%

Input 2 - Strength - 50%
Quality - 25% :rolleyes:

not had any problems with the picture though ... :confused:

I do have problems with the picture, when the same programme is on HD and SD Channels (Sky Sports), it blocks on HD, but not on SD!

To Franc:

I had 2 Pace PVR3's multiroom Sky+. Took one out this am for a Thomson HD box.

Pace PVR3 I'm left with has about 80% quality and strength

Thomson I've now got is on about 50% quality and strength

Pace that was taken out to swap for the HD box also gave me 80% readings in both.

Any ideas? Should I be concerned?

Not really all boxes tend to report the signal strength differently, the only way to reliably test the signal from the dish is to use our pro meters. Sometimes even doing a force update will give different readings if the box is running on an older version. So if the picture isn't freezing or blocking then don't worry.

Cheers, Franc

If the signal is lower than on iput 1 then you can see that cable 2 is losing more signal. This is usually down to the fact that the cable may be lower quality cable than the first or it may have more bends, squashed somewhere, have a small crack in it allowing water penetration etc. Replacing the cable should bring it back to the signal quality/strength of the first.

A bigger dish would improve the readings for sure but before that just try another Quad LNB as then one on your dish may be a 'lazy' LNB. Also just try slightly pushing the dish up a cm or two and get someone to observe the readings on the signal strength menu and see if they go up or down. If they do lossen the bolts slightly and lift the angle of the dish a degree or 2.

Cheers, Franc

About to call Sky as I'm having all sorts of problems with mine, I keep losing signal on one or both tuners, comes up as "not locked". Disconnected/reconnecting the cables seems to fix it for a while, but it's getting really annoying, as I keep losing channels :mad:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom