1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signal strength/quality - how important ?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by MarkTy, Jun 16, 2005.

1. MarkTy

MarkTy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had some cables laid for the installation of sky box and new plasma.

The signal strength is about 6/10....quality 7/10......

Would my plasma picture improve significantly if somehowe I could get these figures up to say 9/10....and how would I do it...(I asked the sat installer to be careful with the f connects...and presumably it's pointing exactly right or they'd be no signal at all.

Or is it a case that as long as you get a certain reading...say 5/10...it's good enough

Advice please......I want to make sure my sky picture on plasma is as good as it can be.....

2. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,882
    Those figures seem about average...the only way you will know if your signal strength is too low is if you experience breakup and freezing of the pic.
    Gettings the figures higher will not improve the pic on the plasma.

3. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

Ive yet to come across a well fitted f connector thats been fitted by sky. On a large screen it can make a difference, I redone mine at the lnb and both inputs, the PQ is appx is a smidgin of 100% now and the picture is a bit sharper, certainly about 70 % is average but like Jaycee said if you get freezing or blocking then refit the f connectors. :smashin:

4. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Mines like 50% both of them, and my PQ is perfect

5. MarkTy

MarkTy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The picture isn't breaking up or freezing.....but I just wanted to know if this needs t be worked on before I plug the plasma in

6. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The strength and quality readings that you see on the signal test screen are a guide only. Two boxes linked to the same dish will show slightly different readings. It's all down to the tolerences of the components inside the box. A quality reading of over 50% should ensure that you do not suffer picture breakup in bad weather conditions, other that this it doesn't matter if it reads 100% or 60%.With digital you either have a good picture or you don't.

7. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    br14n,

Re-fitting the f connectors cannot possibly have made your 'PQ' better.

A. Dork

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Another example of the "placebo" effect in action :)

Now, please excuse me, I'm off to buy my £20 a meter Uxwxyzsdi Siver Plus Pro speaker cable with fitted gold plated connectors :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

9. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Well if it wasnt the F,s then my sky+ must've just decided to give me a sharper picture of its own back, I can assure you that there is a difference, even my mates have noticed it, havent changed anything else. Regardless im just happy to have a great pic. :D

10. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ex Sky engineer-the reading you see on the screen will change day to day,if it's overcast and raining the signal drops off. The readings from the digi box are NOT accurate at all.As for the F connectors-many Sky engineers are muppets(pay peanuts get monkey's :D ) and wouldn't doubt that many F connectors are badly fitted. However,this can have NO effect what so ever on PQ,if the picture was breaking up or pixilating then yes but it can not improve the picture!!

11. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Can anyone point me in the direction of how to check the connections on my LNB, and possible how to re-do them? Pictures are better for me :)

To give you some background - My sky system has been installed for about 5 years. I live in a thatched (listed) building so a)I can't fix a dish to the house and b) can't run a cable over the roof due to fire risk. Therefore my sky dish is attached to a pole, which is dug into the ground in the back garden. Sky + installed about 18 months ago and have recently started to experience glitchy recordings and picture breakup at the slightest overcast weather or rain. My setup screen shows about 30-40% strength but is weaker on input 2. Start by re-doing the cable ends? I have a bigger 60cm dish, which the Sky installer recommended due to the long cable runs to the front of the house (approx 30 meters).

12. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You'd be better off getting the dish re-aligned. The pole has probably moved slightly.

13. ctcrm

ctcrm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    how would you go about doing that??

is it just a case of moving the dish till you get a better picture of do you have to use some sort of test meter ?

14. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    A test meter is desirable. It's not that easy, because of other satellites which are only a few degrees away from the one you want, and people in the past have got fantastic readings on meters from the wrong satellite and have spent ages wondering why they are not getting a picture.

15. GrahameD

GrahameD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I checked F connectors at the LNB and dish on my SKY setup.

I got about 25% exctra signal , so the built in s/w meter showed.

I was disgusted how the cable had such little contact with the F connector.

I have since checked 2 friends and 1 hosipital's system, and in all cases , signal has improved. the hosipitalno longer gets break up on certain stations.

16. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I don't see a problem with manually moving the dish a bit and seeing what happens. It's a non cost option, and what have you to lose?

17. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Many problems are caused because people don't seal external F connectors properly. The correct method is a thick layer of self-amalgamating tape, with a layer of PVC tape over the top. The PVC tape stops the s-a tape from going brittle. F connectors do the job well, but co-axial cable does not like water.

18. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The signal ? With satellites less than 3 degrees either side of the 28.2E position, it's very easy to move the dish the wrong way onto the wrong satellite.