signal strength problems

copystuff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys just had a new High gain aerial put on my chimney stack but the signal strength is now only 30 on some channels so i wonder what is at fault ?
The cable comes from a splitter on my mast goes in to the loft where it connects into the old tv coax then goes behind a dry lined wall down to the aerial socket any ideas ?

On BBC 1 HD i get 38 on signal strength

Last edited:
Just had a new High gain aerial put on my chimney stack...

Lots more information, please!

Where are you and which transmitter do you receive?

Was the aerial installed by a qualified rigger or DIY?

Was it working after installation or has it never worked?

Do you know if it's grouped aerial or a wideband?

Lots more information, please!

Where are you and which transmitter do you receive?

Was the aerial installed by a qualified rigger or DIY?

Was it working after installation or has it never worked?

Do you know if it's grouped aerial or a wideband?

Im in Derby

installed by a qualified rigger

Waltham transmitter

This is my aerial

SLX 48 Element High Gain Digital TV Aerial, 27884D/04

I get picture but some channels dont seem very clear as others and signal is as low as 30 on some channels but signal qaulity seems 100%

How well qualified was that rigger? The aerial is a poor quality "bacofoil" aerial.

Pity you didn't check the results before you paid him/her.

Get the rigger back. Under Sale of Goods act it should be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose which it clearly isn't.

I cant see that aerial being a problem ?

Like Tight Git says it either works or it dosnt, the signal strength may vary on diff channels but as long as you have no loss of signal or pixelating, should be fine.

What receiver make/model are you using to measure things with?

What are the signal strength and quality readings for all 6 multiplex frequencies from Watham?

Strength is much less important than quality.

The aerial is not a top quality brand and may be damaged easily in strong winds. See ATV`s Choice Of Aerials for digital TV and relate pages.

Thanks for replys maybe im exspecting too much from an lcd tv but i thought pic would be crystal clear but its not take for instance on freeview you get the channel logo or writing in adverts where the edge of the writing is not sharp im sure you guys know what i mean.
I looked at reveiws for aerial got good reviews so brought it but next time i will ask on here for a good one before i buy.

for instance on freeview you get the channel logo or writing in adverts where the edge of the writing is not sharp im sure you guys know what i mean

That has nothing to do with signal strength or your aerial.
It sounds like a poor quality TV to be honest and if there is no signal breakup or missing channels your aerial system is adequate.

Different TV channels have different data rates. This affects the TV quality. Compare an HD channel to ITV4 or another secondary channel and the difference is huge.

All part of the joy of digital TV. Derby - Waltham is quite a long way - you are on the fringes of reception, so a picture without drop out is quite acceptable.

You may be able to improve your picture on SD channels by careful adjustment of the various video settings available via the menu on your TV; try turning off all "video enhancements" or effects for starters.
For further help on that, post a new question in the LCD TV section, with the make and model of your TV in the thread title.

I looked at reveiws for aerial got good reviews so brought it but next time i will ask on here for a good one before i buy.

You are lucky you got a rigger to put it up. Most would want to supply the aerial as well. Apart from wanting to add a markup they can select the correct aerial for the area rather than a one fits all (not).

That has nothing to do with signal strength or your aerial.
It sounds like a poor quality TV to be honest and if there is no signal breakup or missing channels your aerial system is adequate.

My tv is a Sony Bravia does that count as a cheap tv ?

Sony is not a 'cheap' TV, but it has been noted that some models require a better signal level than others.

In modern TVs don't vary much in sensitivity and if you are affected by any small variations there are you are either in a very poor signal area or your aerial system is inadequate.

By your descriptions I don't think you have a signal problem. It's just that your expectations are higher than the over compressed DTT system can provide.

copystuff said:
My tv is a Sony Bravia does that count as a cheap tv ?

If it's one of the rebadged Beko models I've seen they're poor and not up to Sony standards.
I "think" they're the 500 series.

I work in the repair trade.

Thanks so two questions which aerial should i change to and what tv should i buy as i dont want to be looking at a bad picture all year.
I might even complain to John Lewis for selling me a rebadged tv as i would of never brought it knowing its not a proper sony tv.

copystuff said:
Thanks so two questions which aerial should i change to and what tv should i buy as i dont want to be looking at a bad picture all year.
I might even complain to John Lewis for selling me a rebadged tv as i would of never brought it knowing its not a proper sony tv.

As stated earlier there's nothing wrong with your aerial unless you're getting picture breakup, freezing, audio glitches, missing channels etc.
The KDL-40EX403 is the Sony entry model.
I doubt you'll get far with complaining to JL...It's quite common for a large electronics company to "buy in" a chassis or screen from another and put their own name on the finished product...JL sales staff may not even be aware of it.
You need to go and look/compare the TVs on demonstration.

Last edited:
Thanks Jc yes i do get picture break up on some channels showing only 20 on signal strength and i get 116 channels when i scan.

Right then i took my tv upstairs to try it on the connection in my bedroom that runs off the same aerial and i notice signal was better and also i got an extra 10 services when i did a rescan.
So i take it theres a problem in my coax that comes from aerial into my attic then down behind the dry lining in my wall.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom