Signal strength 61% but getting audio glitching

smilingcrow

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm getting frequent audio glitches on many radio recordings that I'm making with my Satellite receiver; every 3 seconds or so which is annoying. I'm not generally able to check the signal level as the recordings are made when I'm not around but when I do check the signal it is around 60 to 62%.
Is this too low and should I realign the dish or does this likely point to a different issue?

Last edited:
Why is this thread in the Freesat sub-forum?

I'm recording Freesat channels so it seemed a good fit but please move it to a more appropriate place if you feel it needs a new home.

Would you please suggest a suitable sub-forum to post it to?
My initial question is regarding signal strength and whether it is too low; edited for clarity.

My initial question is regarding signal strength and whether it is too low; edited for clarity.

What receiver is it, what channels & what are you recording on to.

It does sound as though you are OK signal wise & sounds more like that could be a recording issue but you need the above info.

I have a Hauppage Nova-S USB SD satellite tuner connected to my HTPC just to record JazzFM. I'm using Win7 Pro x64 and DVBViewer and use a dual DVB-T tuner for all other Radio/TV recordings.
I wanted to get feedback on the signal strength first before exploring the other areas that might be the problem.

Do you have a signal quality reading ?
If so what is that reading ?

I have a Hauppage Nova-S USB SD satellite tuner connected to my HTPC just to record JazzFM. I’m using Win7 Pro x64

So the "HTPC" is a computer?
Computers are notoriously "noisy". Is it fully screened and is the tuner well away from it and connected by well-screened cable?

Thanks Martin. I'm currently using a laptop but this will change soon. The USB cable is fairly standard so not sure about the shielding.
I‘ve been recently told that JazzFM originates from Eutelsat 28A and not Astra 28.2 so there may be an alignment issue.
I will also try using the Happuage software as opposed to DVBViewer to see if that helps. I appear to get drop outs with live listening and not glitching which is a lot worse. But I don't listen to enough live radio to know if this is the actual case. I've also noticed that it seems to get worse the further into a recording I go. The first x minutes are often fine and then the glitching starts. This is with the MP2 files that DVBViewer produces.
It might be easier just to move over to DAB as I only use the satellite for JazzFM which is also on there.

Last edited:
Why don't you just listen direct on the internet?
Thanks for your input but that’s such a different type of way to access the shows and there are many reasons why it doesn’t fit with my approach to listening to them.

As I read the web site the programming on the internet is exactly the same as it is by any other means - apologies if that's not the case.

Last edited:
As I read the web site the programming on the internet is exactly the same as it is by any other means - apologies if that's not the case,
I have no idea if there’s any difference in the content as it’s the way I access the data that is the issue as suggested in my previous post. A better way of putting it would be that it is the way that I record and utilise the data that makes using the web impossibly cumbersome and impractical.

It’s not unusual for people also to suggest using CatchUpTV rather than a a Freeview tuner but that doesn’t address the issue that some people record shows that they may not access for months or years and that’s just one of the issues.

My comments were in no way a criticism of the way you do things.
I was trying to establish for others whether there is any difference, when using a computer to access radio programmes, between receiving a channel and recording it through a satellite tuner and doing that from a web site.

My comments were in no way a criticism of the way you do things.
No problem as I didn’t take them as such although I feel that if you had omitted the icon for confusion that would have made it even clearer. I did feel a very mild irritation with the way you presented yourself but that is my issue so no complaints with you.

I was trying to establish for others whether there is any difference, when using a computer to access radio programmes, between receiving a channel and recording it through a satellite tuner and doing that from a web site.
That didn’t come across to me at all but I will be happy to share my workflow when I have some more time.

I’m currently using a laptop but this will change soon.

So you'll have a wi-fi adaptor enabled? That's most likely the source of interference.
I had to disable the one on my HTPC to stop the beacon signal causing a regular burst of noise, even when there was no traffic.

Thanks for your response, and I've duly removed the icon.
My question "Why don't you just listen direct on the internet?" was a straightforward attempt to establish, for the information of other readers, the advantages of doing it one way rather than the other.

So you'll have a wi-fi adaptor enabled? That's most likely the source of interference. I had to disable the one on my HTPC to stop the beacon signal causing a regular burst of noise, even when there was no traffic.
Thanks for the advice. WiFi is already disabled but Bluetooth isn’t so I’ll disable that as well; it's the same chipset I believe.

Thanks for your response, and I've duly removed the icon. My question "Why don't you just listen direct on the internet?" was a straightforward attempt to establish, for the information of other readers, the advantages of doing it one way rather than the other.
I was surprised to see your were a MOD when I read your initial post as I thought that implied tone was not neutral enough. I may have been over sensitive but that was my experience.

A lot of people try to read "tone" into messages instead of simply reading the question or answer. :)
It's a big mistake and sometimes results in people not getting the answer they wanted because they spend all their efforts in accusing people and ticking them off. :)

BTW, Logi. is not Ministry Of Defence; He's a Moderator ("mod.") and we are all one click away from being banned, if we don't behave. :)

Last edited:
I thought that implied tone was not neutral enough
"I thought" are the key words there.
Any implications were entirely in your thoughts, not at all in my post.
"Why don't you just listen direct on the internet?" was a request, or an invitation, to provide information.
That information will be welcome, and helpful to other members, in due course.
On the other point, the forum code of conduct is much less rigorous than that of the MOD.:)

Last edited:
A lot of people try to read "tone" into messages instead of simply reading the question or answer. :)
It's a big mistake and sometimes results in people not getting the answer they wanted because they spend all their efforts in accusing people and ticking them off. :)
BTW, Logi. is not Ministry Of Defence; He's a Moderator ("mod.") and we are all one click away from being banned, if we don't behave. :)
Whose Business Are You In? (ByronKatie.com)

Last edited:
"I thought" are the key words there. Any implications were entirely in your thoughts, not at all in my post.
"Why don't you just listen direct on the internet?"
You added the ‘Confusion’ icon which is what made your post ambiguous. I wasn’t sure whether:
a) You were confused, which seemed strange as you are a MOD and it’s a simple question.
b) You were implying that I was confused which seemed inappropriate.

Life is a very subtle art and to get the most out of it we need to be very clear in how we communicate otherwise it can lead to ‘confusion’.

"Why don't you just listen direct on the internet?" was a request, or an invitation, to provide information. That information will be welcome, and helpful to other members, in due course.

My question "Why don't you just listen direct on the internet?" was a straightforward attempt to establish, for the information of other readers, the advantages of doing it one way rather than the other.
If you had been more precise in your initial communication and explicitly stated that I would have naturally felt moved to share why I choose not to use Web Radio:

A) I have mobile broadband; via a tethered phone.
B) I currently record ~50 hours of radio a week; very easy and quick to set-up with DVBViewer and a Freeview/Freesat tuner. I can set repeats example for the same show on 5 days a week in seconds.
C) Lower bit rates on Web broadcasts I think!
D) Recording Web broadcasts generally ties up the PC audio wise in some way; dependent on the software you use, I have Total Recorder.
E) I already have a TV license so no extra cost apart from the ~£40 cost of the two tuners (dual tuner Freeview & single tuner Satellite).
F) I can record stuff whilst away with no limitations regarding Listen Again; with Jazz FM it’s 7 days I think.
G) Files are automatically named including the date which is useful as I use the file names when creating tags for the MP3 versions; I transcode from MP2 using MPEG Streamclip.

Your question was in your mind and not actually communicated in your first post which is why it wasn’t answered. I hope now there is no confusion. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom