Signal really poor on my router??

MisterBigMack

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there

Quite a bit of a story this one so will try and keep it short if I can

Ive had problems with my ISP (Kingston Communications based in Hull) the last few months with various issues - drop outs and other niggly things, but at the moment something is confusing me:

Im currently using a router which they supplied me which is the Zyxel VMG8924-B10A
http://www.zyxel.com/uk/en/products_services/vmg8924_b10a.shtml?t=p
As you can see its a dual band one which displays 2.4ghz and 5ghz -I am using the 2.4ghz currently (I don't really know the different to be honest!)

anyways....I like i said I have been having various drops outs as I've been noticing my internet cutting out and ringing my ISP and they have confirmed its a problem with the line itself - Now the last couple of days this has been fixed but I have found another problem, the internet - when I go on the browser is still momentarily cutting out but like before, the lights are not going out like a "drop out" so I don't know why its still cutting out - Why is the internet just momentarily stopping?

What can I do? My ISP are saying theres nothing to do with them as at their end its all working OK, but from my end its momentarily cutting out even its not a registered one

Hope someone can help

Thanks

What operating system are you using?
If you are using Windows, open a cmd shell:
1) Hit the windows key
2) Type cmd
3) Press enter

The type ipconfig and press enter.
You should. You should see some results, which include your "Default Gateway" with an address along the lines of 192.168.1.1

Whatever that address is, type:

ping /t <address> and press enter.

e.g.

c:\>ping /t 192.168.1.1 <enter>

Then you should see the results of your computer pinging your internet gateway.
If pings are successful, you get the time it took for a ping packet to reach your gateway, and then for the reply to reach your computer. This is the round trip time.

If pings fail, you get responses like:
- Destination host unreacheable
- Ping request timed out
- Ping request could not find host

Leave the cmd shell running in the background. Next time your internet connection drops, see if pings are still being returned from your gateway. If so, that we know that the problem is not with your link to the gateway.

If not, then we know the issue is with the link to your gateway, or the gateway itself not responding.

Either way, it will give a clue as to what the problem is and then depending on the result, we can suggest the next course of action.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom