signal quality

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by terence, Apr 23, 2007.

1. terence

terence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have good signal strength but almost zero quality any ideas as to what could be causing this. Sky+

thanks

2. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Probably a fault. (An answer as vague as the question). Would you care to give details? Make and model. History of the problem. What you've tried?

3. terence

terence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just moved to new house which had a sky dish already installed. I aranged for sky to come and add a cable because I have sky+. Simple job everything fine for first week, picture then started to freeze and have no signal it has got worse and worse and now I have virtually no service even on sky news. I have changed boxes from a pace to an amstrad ( I had spare after cancelling multi room) this has made no difference. Engineer is returning at weekend to investigate but at moment I have hardly any tv even bbc1 keeps losing signal.

kids going mad any help appreicated

4. alternate

alternate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you could try and alter the rotation/skew of the LNB (there should be numbered settings and a fixing screw).

Although as the other poster said - high strength and a flat zero of quality suggests a fault.

5. terence

terence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when you say a fault would that be with the dish

6. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Probably the dish arm is sagging slightly from the weight of the quad-output LNB and cables. Try raising the LNB a few millimetres.
    Mind, this is only a guess. It could equally be a bad connection, rainwater in the cable, tree sprouting in the signal path or the LNB dieing - or something else.

7. forestfan

forestfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Terence

Everything you mention is exactly my problem with my sky, even checking with my cancelled multi room box!

We had an engineer out to resolve the problem, sadly I was away and my Girlfriend was told it was down to the leaves coming out on the trees........He a smart guy it's Spring!, so you would think maybe locate the dish on the chimney for the correct height ......no he just cleared off, now he’s coming back in two days either to do his JOB! Or remove all the leaves off my trees!!