1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

signal problems

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by horus, May 20, 2005.

1. horus

horus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My sky signal keeps breaking up appears to be in wind and rain, I either get no sound bad picture or the message saying no signal. I have read a few posts suggesting possible LNB problem or dish line up. So apart from the obvious question as to cause and how to tell.
    I have two further questions is it hard to fit a new LNB and which makes are best.
    Second question is about line of dish, someone suggested you don’t need a signal strength meter. If this is the case how do you do it?
    Any advice appreciated

2. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problems on windy days are usually caused by a nearby tree being too close to the dish, bad signal in heavy rain could be a faulty lnb or alignment problem. As far as changing the lnb goes it is very easy, just remove the old one and slot the new one in its place. any make of lnb that is specifically designd for the minidish will be OK.

3. horus

horus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that,
    On system menu, signal test i get signal strength a grey bar two thirds of the way over then blue
    quality all blue (no numbers on either)
    network id=0002
    transport system=07d4
    the house is on top of a hill so nothing in front of dish, picture does break up only in wind. It is the normal dish that you get with sky digital. was looking at LNB's on e-bay any advice. does the quad fit the standard dish
    seems to be a lot of thompson quad LNB's
    plus these 2 the phillips one has just gone

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60838&item=5775412446&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29783&item=5775510315&rd=1

4. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check that the dish is fixed to the wall correctly, and that all the nuts and bolts are tight. Yes, the quad will fit, and I would reccomend the Thomson, you get a slightly better signal than with the Raven.

5. horus

horus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for taking time to answer. The dish has been up about 6 years, being on top of a hill that side takes the brunt of the wind and rain. if the grey bar is indicating signal strength it looks like 60-70% It's the fact the quality one is just the background blue with no bar made me wounder. Again thanks for the help.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Check the cable too. If water has got in, it can cause normal strength, but poor quality. Make sure that plugs are sealed with self-amalgamating tape covered with a layer of PVC tape, to stop the water getting in.

7. horus

horus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just checked the quality again (it's raining with lightish wind)
    the strength remains constant. However the quality started all blue then the grey bar appeared at i guess about 80% then went out came back slightly higher. It appears to come and go every few seconds, is this normal or is it an indication of a problem. You mentioned water in the ariel wire if this has happened is it simpler\necessary to relace the wire when changing the LNB.

8. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,878
    Yes

Yes, definately recommended.