Signal problems - Satellite, Cable or Area?!

Jonalong

Standard Member
Hi all,

I'll try and make this as brief as I can!

I live in a block of flats with a shared satellite dish, I have an satellite / ariel socket in my bedroom which is linked up to this, when I first moved in, I bought a free-sat box and tried it out on the TV in my room, all seemed to be OK and it seemed to get most of the channels with no problem, but I didn't extensively check the signal.

Because we wanted the TV in the living room, me and my dad ran a cable from the existing socket into my room, round the outside of the building and into the living room and plugged it all in. This is where the problems started!

With the free-sat, we never get BBC one (once in a blue moon it works! - literally twice maybe in 6 months!) rarely get bbc hd, and many other channels don't work.

Thinking it was just a crap Free-Sat box, I got fed up and eventually bit the bullet and took out sky HD, the guy came and fitted it the day before yesterday and all seemed ok, good signal quality and about 50-60% signal strength I believe was. The next day i tried it and it turned out we still do not receive bbc one, and other channels weren't getting great strength either!

Last night we turned on the box to watch some TV and we were getting "no signal" on every channel! (not good in the middle of the world cup!) Then this morning we turned it on again and most of the channels seemed ok!

Does anyone have any idea what our problem could be? I've tried ringing sky but they don't seem to interested in helping! I'd just like to know what i can do to check what is going on, especially with England on tonight!

Its a 4 storey building on top of a hill without many surrounding trees - postcode tn4 8bb if that makes any difference!

Thanks a lot guys!

Jon

MartinPickering

I live in a block of flats with a shared satellite dish, I have an satellite / aerial socket in my bedroom which is linked up to this, when I first moved in, I bought a free-sat box and tried it out on the TV in my room, all seemed to be OK and it seemed to get most of the channels with no problem, but I didn't extensively check the signal.
Then you MUST do so now. Make sure you can get BBC in the bedroom.

Because we wanted the TV in the living room, me and my dad ran a cable from the existing socket into my room, round the outside of the building and into the living room and plugged it all in. This is where the problems started!

If you can get BBC in the bedroom then your cable is causing the problem. I don't want to write an essay so read the info here:
What's the best coaxial Cable?

Jonalong

Standard Member
Then you MUST do so now. Make sure you can get BBC in the bedroom.

If you can get BBC in the bedroom then your cable is causing the problem. I don't want to write an essay so read the info here:
What's the best coaxial Cable?

Thanks very much for that Martin! yeah I will check the tv again in my room, and if it seems to be ok, then the cable will be the issue hopefully!

Thanks for that link too. Will update later on.

Jon

logiciel

That "round the outside of the building" seems a bit odd - isn't there a shorter more direct way?

Jonalong

Standard Member
That "round the outside of the building" seems a bit odd - isn't there a shorter more direct way?

No, the point on my bedroom wall where we ran the cable through runs directly along the wall where it ends up next to the TV, it would have been pretty much impossible to run it though the inside of the house without having to drill through 3 different solid walls.

Cheers anyway

logiciel

OK - that makes sense - and unfortunately tends to confirm it's the cable that's the cause.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom