Signal Problem with New TV.

JB Pilgrim

Novice Member
Reaction score
I've just replaced an old Sony Bravia LCD TV with a new LG OLEDC9, but when I've tuned the new TV, the Freeview through my TV aerial, having been excellent, are now either extremely poor or mostly lost.

I have a basic set up, TV aerial directly into the back of my BT 4K UHD settop box, looped through the box to the TV with a HDMI cable from the BT Box to the TV.

I've changed the HDMI cable and played around with the settings that I'm aware of, nothing seems to work.

I removed the HDMI and tested in the old Sony TV, the signal strength on the BT Box for BBC 1, goes from 0% to 93% and is fine again but will not work in the new TV.

I'm running out of ideas of what this could be, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Remove the aerial from the BT box and plug it into the TV and retune.
If all okay reconnect it to the BT box and reconnect the RF out from the BT box to the TV with the HDMI cable disconnected at both ends.
Check that RF Loopthrough is enabled on the BT box settings.

Thanks for the quick response JayCee, just tried and found no problem with the signal with the aerial directly into the back.

When I changed over aerial cables (without HDMI plugged in), I lost signal.

Did you check RF Loopthrough in the settings is enabled (Must be set to “On”)? if it isn't that's your problem.
Also, set ECO to “Low”.

Double checked, def. on but still nothing.
Just turned the settop box off and suddenly i have picture.

Try now with HDMI Cables plugged in?

If it's the signal on the part of the hardware that hasn't changed which has dropped then it must be some sort of interference.

Try spacing the cables out or rerouting them so they're as far from each other as possible.

Thanks for the advise, tried spacing as much as is possible, also turned off everything else around it - even though they are not plugged in to the TV or BT Box.

I've got a signal loop from the aerial through the BT Hub to the LG TV, but the Freeview signal only works when BT Hub is turned off - by that I mean by the main power switch on the back of box?!!!

Would think there would be any mileage in resetting the BT box?
Could it be any of the settings on the LG TV?

A “BT Hub” is a broadband router and has no connection for an aerial
What is the model no of your BT Youview box?
You'll find it printed on a label on the underside.

This is an indoor antenna ? that has maybe changed of location, and has bad reception, or is near a source of interferrence ? could it be plugs/jacks are different of size ?
is there any software setting in the BT box, that could have effect on the loop through ?

Not an indoor antenna, the same roof top aerial as I I've always had with great signal which severed the old TV and which still works when plugged in with the HDMI connected the set top box.

Current situation:
New LG TV with aerial plugged directly in works fine
New TV with aerial looped through the BT Set Top Box works fine, but only when the Set Top Box is switched off - main switch, back of the box.
Original old Sony TV works fine with signal for both BT TV and Freeview Channels.

I've now also reset the BT Set Top Box but achieved nothing but less channels. I've connect now back to the old TV and get the full selection of channels just to restore.

Really cannot understand how this is so complicated, fully appreciate the support of you guys and any additional advise.

Thanks,

So it it the TV's tuner or the Box's tuner that's struggling, or both?

Come to think of it...maybe.... when the BT box is switched on, you are suposed to watch a BT IPTV service,
because this is a provider customized box... over the air content is also available as IPTV content, and is interactive ?

That was the Model code, on the base, maybe it's T4000?

That's a DTR-T4000 and it's manufactured by Humax for BT.
OP please confirm with the aerial plugged into the BT box you also have a coax RF cable from the BT box RF out to the TV's aerial socket?

Yes, correct, main aerial coax from point to BT settop, RF out coax direct from Settop to TV.

So, just to confirm, with this configuration and RF Loopthrough is definitely switched on you have no signals on the TV's Freeview tuner but all are present when viewing via the BT box?

Loop complete, 'Aerial Out' on box ON, but kills both TV & Settop box Terrestrial channels.

The only exception is when the Settop box switched off at back of box, I then get Terrestrial channels back on the TV.

Streaming channels appear unaffected and work on both TV & Box.

I've tested on the old TV with the same set up and works without any issues, as it did prior to the new LG set.

🤔

'Aerial Out' on box ON, but kills both TV & Settop box Terrestrial channels

You mean “RF Loopthrough” on?
There's something weird happening here, having RF Loopthrough on shouldn’t be affecting the BT box signal.
The only thing I can think of is that you have a very strong signal, so strong it's overloading the new TV's tuner which may be a lot more sensitive than your old Sony TV.

Sorry for the delayed response, no time yesterday.

So, I've tested the LG TV with and old BT Box I had (Humax, Model: DTRT2100) and the problem goes away?!!!!! Signal strength high and showing all Terrestrial channels.

I plug the new 4K UHD box back in, keeping everything the same, I lose all Terrestrial channels with 'Your TV signal is weak or Lost'?

I've tried to compare what little settings there on each box and nothing changes, except the HDMI Display setting which seems to defaults to the highest available setting - UHD 50fps 8 bit. I have tried to match this up to the old BT Box (1080) but has no impact.

I cannot figure out if it's a setting on the new LG TV, its a fault with the TV or something linked to the BT 4K UHD Box which is causing the issue.

The old Sony TV again has no issue with either BT Box being plugged in.

Can anyone suggest anything else I can test so try and find the route cause of the fault?!!

Just in case anyone else has this issue, problem confirmed as to strong a signal, resolved by fixing aerial cable with attenuator.

All channels returned when fitted & Retuning.

Still does not answer why it worked on one TV and the other but......... IT WORKS!!! 😁

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom