1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signal Interface Cable-HS30 for Sony HS10 ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by GlasgowGary, Jan 27, 2003.

1. GlasgowGary

GlasgowGary
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, Has anyone used this connection to connect a laptop up to the PJ ? If so, Where did you buy it from ? I'm fairly sure I need one now as I tried using S-Video and all I could see was the desktop wallpaper and the mouse cursor entering the PJ screen when it goes off-screen on the LCD screen. I've tried mucking about with the resolutions etc at both ends and still can't get it right.

Also, on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 8200) I only have a small jack plug for audio out. Is there a single lead/cable I can hook up from the laptop to the amp to enable playback of a reasonable sound quality (obviously not as good as other sources) via the amp, mainly for college work and online gaming.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as always :(
    Gary

2. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    My Dell 8000 came with a breakout cable which had a phono socket for digital coaxial out. It also had the svideo socket on it.

For VGA you'll definatly need the Sony cable.

3. GlasgowGary

GlasgowGary
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nexnix.co.uk have them on their site now as optional accessories with the Sony HS10, I'll give them a call in the morning :)

4. desibeo

desibeo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    £85 +VAT!? At that price I suggest you'd be better off buying a new graphics card with DVI. I know I will (soon).

-Kevin.

5. beta

beta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

its not a cheap cable but for some its a good option to DVI - mainly because here no one can make me a LONG (12 meter or more) DVI cable for under 400 bucks by the time I import! so the sony cable at 115 bucks plus my exsisting 10 meter extension vga from my CRT does the trick!

PS: the longest dvi I could get here is a 5 meter cable with a 2 month wait...MADNESS:eek: :eek: :eek:

6. GlasgowGary

GlasgowGary
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I have to agree there, for some reason cables at the desired length etc to be very difficult to get a hold of. I asked about town and it was the same story everywhere, "we need to order it, it'll be some time though", "no one stocks them" "have you tried ....blah blah blah".
    In regards to buying a new graphics card with DVI (not entirely sure of the advantages of this) , would this mean the HS10 supplied cable would be ok then? The g-Force 2Go 32mb is fine for all my needs in terms of performance at the moment, but at the same time I dont want to order a Sony cable then realise I could have bought a new (better) graphics card for a similar price.

What should I do then ?

Order the SIC HS30 or
    Look into purchasing a DVI graphics card

7. beta

beta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well here the cable costs about 100-125 depending where and who you go.

a half decent radeon 9700 card costs 300-400 and the "pro" top of the range card starts at about 600.....so...you guys must have real cheap graphics cards?

8. GlasgowGary

GlasgowGary
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if I gave the impression that I can buy the best card on the market for a similar price. Like I said, it's not for hardcore video editing or gaming, I have an Athlon 1600-1024DDR Ram-GeForce 4 Ti4600 for that purpose. I certainly wouldnt put a Radeon in my laptop for general use, I was simply thinking I could buy a card for much the same price as the cable which would let me connect to the PJ.

Cheers

Gary

9. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    This thread seems a bit confused.

You wont be able to change the graphics in a laptop.

For dvi out in a desktop machine most of the ati range will do, best value for money is the 9000 non pro without a fan for about £60-65. Couple this with a cable from www.lindy.co.uk , 10m dvi for £43.74 including guaranteed next day delivery before 12.00am and your sorted, fantastic picture.

If you want to spend a little more on the graphics card the best for HTPC is the 9500 128mb for about £125 which has support for DX9 and provides a slighlty better image still.

10. GlasgowGary

GlasgowGary
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx John Spicer for clearing things up :) and to all others who replied.

Gary

11. desibeo

desibeo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Beta,

That price seems a lot cheaper than anywhere in the UK. Any chance you know a website that is selling this at that price?

-Kevin.

12. beta

beta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    should have added thats AUSTRALIAN dollars mate ;) then again my nick says australia ;)

the vga cable here is retail 140 but you get it allot cheaper than that.

the 7500/8000 radeons are about 150-250 with the 9000's starting in the high 200's through too about 400 bucks.

DVI cable for me - ok it says above 43 quid, so times by 3 for OZ bucks, 130 bucks, then add 100-120 bucks postage and other stuff, then add 25 bucks bank charges, thats 250 - 275, which is CHEAPER than what I have been quoted here by only ONE place who could make me the DVI cable I requested, at 380 bucks with a 2 month wait.

So I bought the sony cable and use my cumby old geforce 2 and built into the MB sis VGA and mirror them (I have many a time got "out of rate on the projector its a pain swapping cables).:D not upto some peoples standards :mad: but works a treat for my CS frag fests :D :D

13. desibeo

desibeo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was aware you are in Australia. Thats why I asked if you had a link rather than an address. Afterall things are a bit easier to source from across the planet than they used to be.
    ;)

No link then? Heres hoping.

-Kevin.

14. beta

beta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Video world do mail / internet order

Sony Central will be more than happy to help you out as well, Im not sure if its on their online shop but get in touch with them.

Video Projectors will get you one but he wont be too cheap, but he's good for hard to get things

Av Central also often flog these sorts of things off and are nice people to deal with, had some of my betacam through them.

AV Distribution australia should be able to help you out as well.

I think you can get one over the phone through Sony Style Australia

Then there's Harvey Norman who I know a guy at AVS bought his there and Ihave bought things mail order from them over the phone when I lived out bush. But that was nearly 6 years ago.

Ok, need more links? :p :p only need to ask :D :D :D :D

I know a few more possibly sources if you like, but it all comes down to probably only harvey norman and sony central actually having one in stock at this very moment and the others will say "there was 5 due in Sony Sydney Australia on the 20th Jan and there is none left and the next batch is 5 due 3rd Feb we can pre order one if you like"

15. GlasgowGary

GlasgowGary
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I phoned NexNix this morning and they wont be able to send one till Feb 10th.

16. JRHAY72

JRHAY72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0