Signal fluctuation after moving Sky digi box.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by eyespy, Jan 11, 2008.

1. eyespy

eyespy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I moved my TV/Sky box last night which meant disconnecting all the cabling. On reconnecting the Sky cable and switching on I was greeted with a message stating that no satelite signal was being received :(
    I disconnected/reconnected the cable making absolutely sure that the thin wire had gone in correctly - stll no signal :mad:
    However sometime later I started to get a signal but it was very flaky - the signal test showed both the signal strength and quality indicators fluctuating wildly from zero to 50% - for a time I had a solid picture on some channels (esp channel 5) though most showed no signal or fault on channel messages :rolleyes:
    This morning I'm back to no signal :suicide:
    I find it hard to believe that moving the equipment coincided with the dish being affected by the high winds/rain we have been having so can only think that there must be something wrong with the Sky box.
    Has anyone experienced a similar problem and were able to fix the problem?
    What does the 'System Healthcheck' in the setup menus do? - it says "your incident number is xxxx" and asks for my pin number but then just beeps at me and changes the incident number after I enter it :confused:
    My Sky dish is 20' up on the front wall and I do not have a ladder - can the alignment be checked from inside the house by sticking a meter on to the end of the cable?
    Is there anything I can do to diagnose the problem- the box is about 2 years old and I assume Sky will charge me if they need to fix it?

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    I would remake the F connector by the SKY box just to be sure.

3. eyespy

eyespy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks - I'll give it a go -- btw what is the F connector?

4. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
  5. iSix

iSix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another thing to consider, have you kinked/bent the satellite coax when moving your equipment, as this could damage the signal wire inside.

6. Fatwaz

Fatwaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont worry about system health check thats something engineers use and your pin number for has no meaning to it.

this may sound very basic but put the box in standby and wait a few mins till the HDD has stopped spinning then turn off the mains to the box for 5mins and then turn it back on again and let the box reboot.after a couple of mins turn it on and try again.has been known to work

7. eyespy

eyespy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Be interesting to know what info the engineers can get from a system health check - anyone know how to get into it?

Fatwaz - I think you're refering to a Sky+ box whereas mine is the standard digibox (Thompson) but thanks anyway :)

8. Fatwaz

Fatwaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well you can still try it as it will reboot the box just forget the HDD bit lol.

9. eyespy

eyespy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well it seems that coincidences do happen :eek:

Yesterday I remade the connection to the digibox but still got the "No signal" message. I went outside with a pair of binoculars to get a closer look at the dish and could see the LNB oscillating quite badly.

Today the winds have dropped a little and although the LNB is still wobbling a bit it's no where near as bad as yesterday. Checking reception - I now have several channels back - not all though :(

It appears that my dish needs to be re-aligned and tightened - would Sky charge for this seeing as they put the dish up in the first place?

10. Fatwaz

Fatwaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    of course they will unless it was very very recent.£65 call out charge