1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signal degradation with PAL to NTSC Converters

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Pip_UK, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would it be worth buying a PAL to NTSC signal convertor to improve digital TV when running the signal to a Sony VPL-VW11HT?

Cheers

Pip

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    Unlikely. Unless you want to spend thousands on a broadcast quality device from somewhere like Snell & Willcox.

The degradation of image from a cheaper Standards Converter (eg £300-£800 from Lektropacks) will be greater than any difference you might see between PAL and NTSC on your VW11.

What, exactly, is it that makes you want to do this? What is wrong with your PAL picture?

3. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    As far as I can see, there would be absolutely no point in converting PAL to NTSC in order to 'improve digital TV' .... can you elaborate as to why you are thinking of doing this?

Gav

4. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,

Just thought that NTSC signals lend themselves to 3.2 pulldown and progressive scan. Does this only apply to DVD's?

Many people with projectors appear to get PAL artefacts with projectors. The new Toshiba MT5 and InFocus LS110 have been recalled due to problems with PAL signals (incompatability).

As I want to watch digital cable through my projector I wanted to get the best picture possible ... maybe my inexperience is leading me in the wrong direction :p

Cheers

Pip

5. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    The whole 'advantages of decoding 3:2 pulldown' thing refers to material which was originally an NTSC source - not stuff that was PAL converted to NTSC.

Converting PAL to NTSC will do nothing more than introduce an extra layer of degradation as the picture has to be rescaled (downwards) to the new resolution, plus frames duplicated to make up the 30fps signal (from 25fps PAL).

By far the best way to make use of a projector with progressive input is to get a DVD player capable of progressive output. R1 discs will be 24fps non-interlaced and whenever they get around to sorting out the legal details, R2 will be 25fps non-interlaced.

Gav