Signal Boosters

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by pnefc, Jan 11, 2012.

1. pnefc

pnefc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I recently bought the Samsung BDD8500 Blue Ray DVD / TV Recorder but when I plugged it into the same aerial socket the TV was using it only seems to pick up half the channels. The TV is also a samsung with an built in HD tuner and this doesn't have problems as such. I've tested it at a freinds house and it worked ok so I presume I need to boost the signal.

There is already a booster in my loft which splits the signal to several different aerial sockets but it was already there when I moved house and may not be very good. Is my best option to get a better booster unit to replace the old one or can I connect them in serial to boost it further? Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    I take it that you checked the BDD8500 recorder at the friends house.
    Have you checked the signal strength that the recorder is getting? You should be able to find this by ref to the manual
    Which channels are missing?
    Are you sure the aerial wiring sequence is correct from aerial to recorder and tv?
    If there is a problem with signal strength I'd be inclined to buy a new amplifier rather than add a second, but this may well not be the problem here

3. pnefc

pnefc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks 961.

Yes I checked the BDD8500 recorder at freinds house and it worked fine. I haven't cehcked the signal strength but it's a good idea.

I couldn't name all the channels but it was missing BBC1 & 2 and ITV, iIt was also missing the HD chanels. I'm pretty sure it's connected correctly and I did manage to get BBC1 for about a minute before it went again.

Thanks

4. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    How are the various bits of equipment connected in daisy chain from the aerial socket?

5. pnefc

pnefc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The aerial socket is plugged directly into the recorder. There is a HDMI connector from the recorder to the TV but I've also connected the aerial output of the recorder to the TV although this isn't needed when the recorder is on as it uses the HDMI.

6. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    By elimination and substitution check that the cables are ok

1 Remove HDMI connections. Using co-ax aerial cables only do you still get all stations on the tv. What is digital tuner signal strength on tv?

2 Route co-ax through tv first and then to recorder. Rescan recorder tuner. Are you still missing stations? What is signal strength on recorder?

3 Route tv co-ax to recorder and then HDMI only to tv. check result

4 Route tv co ax to tv and then HDMI only to recorder. Check result

7. pnefc

pnefc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

I'll try it tonight and let you know how it goes.

8. A1944

A1944

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    How does the amplifier (booster) in the loft get its power? Is there a power source in the loft itself, or is there a power unit connected to the aerial socket behind the TV? If it has no power, it will not work, though something might leak past if the signal is quite strong.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  9. Migman

Migman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    It has also been frequently reported that some HDMI cables can interfere significantly with co-axial cables, so may be worth re-routing away from each other, or trying different HDMI cable.

10. pnefc

pnefc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help on this, in the end it was a problem with the booster in the loft in that the connection was faulty and the signal strength I was receiving seemed to fluctuate from 60 to 75 which wasn't great, it also only had a gain of 6dB. I got a new one with a gain of 15dB and the signal strength was showing around 90 and the recorder now works fine.

Thanks again.

:clap: