• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Signal booster. Will an analogue booster work for digital?

adrianthebald

Standard Member
I am fixing up a brand new new tv with built in freeview for an Auntie. I have a spare signal booster (plugs in to mains and ariel behind the TV) that was previously used for analogue signal. Will this signal booster work for digital plaease?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
I am fixing up a brand new new tv with built in freeview for an Auntie. I have a spare signal booster (plugs in to mains and ariel behind the TV) that was previously used for analogue signal. Will this signal booster work for digital plaease?

Yes it will, there's no difference between analogue and digital in this respect. Both use a uhf carrier (that's what the amplifier amplifies). The only difference is that on analogue one UHF carrier has one TV station, on digital one carrier has lots of channels multiplexed digitally onto the carrier. Exactly the same applies to aerials, they simply pick up the carrier it's irrelevant what information is modulated onto the carrier .

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Yes it will, there's no difference between analogue and digital in this respect. Both use a uhf carrier (that's what the amplifier amplifies). The only difference is that on analogue one UHF carrier has one TV station, on digital one carrier has lots of channels multiplexed digitally onto the carrier. Exactly the same applies to aerials, they simply pick up the carrier it's irrelevant what information is modulated onto the carrier .

Hence my aversion to the term "digital aerial" as they are exactly the same as analogue aerials and in fact such terms mislead Joe Public.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom