1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signal Boost!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Lex, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

Do any of you guys know of a way to boost the signal of Sky Digital?
    My problem is that the dish is 50m away from the house, and so obviously there is considerable signal loss. I have heard that a Line Amp wouldn't work, so any other ideas?
    I know that I can buy a better quality cable, but at £1.50 a metre we are talking £75 which is a lot!

I have two digiboxes running off of a quad lnb, the strange thing is that one box (Panasonic) is showing a much higher signal quality/strength than the other (Pace) although they both have identical cable. :confused:

Cheers for any ideas,

Lex.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Try mailing Brymar for help, a larger dish may help.
    PS speccy is this your day job or a sideline?

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Satcure sell a line amplifier, I would be surprised if it was of no use for allowing an extended cable run.

Have you tried using one of the two spare LNB outputs from the quad ?
    My quad shows slightly different signal levels for each output although that could just be the result of varying tuner sensitivity levels. The result is my SKY+ has the highest readings for tuner1, slightly lower for tuner2 and my PACE digibox slightly lower still.

Perhaps just switching each digibox onto the others LNB cable would prove the lower reading was totally down to the digibox tuner.

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanx for the replies.

I was told by various people that a line amp simply amplifies too much noise to be worthwhile. :confused:

Yes I have tried switching the lnb outputs around, but to no avail. I am starting to think that it is a problem with the PACE digibox. I think it has a weak tuner. :( I will phone Sky and tell them I want a replacement. ;)