1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Hillskill, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,311
    According to an article in Broadcast magazine customers will be able to sign up for Sky HD with retailers as of tomorrow. Sky One, two movie channels and a sports channel showing every premiership game in HD were quoted as being part of the package. No info on price though.

2. seanpatrick

seanpatrick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my first posting on AV Forums, so hello!

I've also read this on BBC News and several other trustworthy sites (Digital Spy etc.). It's supposed to be possible to pre-register with Comet and "selected other independent retailers" from tomorrow.

I rang Comet customer services to find out if I had to go into a store to pre-register or could do it over the phone. The guy I spoke to went to speak to his supervisor for about 5 mins and eventually came back with the answer "HDTV isn't available for registration until next year".

Disappointed, I rang Sky, said what I'd read and heard, and was passed around various departments. Eventually a woman I spoke to took my details, but she asked me exactly the same questions as on the www.sky.com/hd site, so all I think I've just been re-registered for that.

So if anyone's planning on rushing down to Comet at 9 am tomorrow be prepared for blank faces! No-one I spoke to at either Sky or Comet knew what I was talking about. However I remember from working in call centres in my student days that we often weren't fed new info about new services until the day they became available, so maybe tomorrow will be different.

If anyone successfully manages to pre-register it might be worth posting in this thread and letting us know how you did it and who you spoke to.

Cheers,
    Sean.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    One well informed poster over at DS did say that checking the HD website on Friday could be worthwhile, it does seem bizarre if the only way to get on a potential buyer list is to visit a retailer who after all will only be acting as agents.

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    well Sky just sent me an email telling me about their initial channels, and reconfirming a 2006 launch. Nothing about preordering just yet. Still, it shows there is some activity at the website :)

5. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I also got the email Richard, good to see they are alive.

Jim

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Same here, at least we know that they know that we are interested:)

7. Glib

Glib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Received e-mail also..have to state also Comet customer service is terrible. Noone seems to know what is going there.

8. RobbySpurs

RobbySpurs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,862
    So, Sky's HD website is still the same. No new info there. Anybody been into Comet?

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sorry, I don't want to appear that I'm jumping on a new poster, but that is a very funny statement ! Stating the obvious, and all that :rotfl: :)

10. Glib

Glib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Ok..ok... :rolleyes:

:hiya:

11. paulduckworth

paulduckworth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been into comet today.... pretty much blank faces really.

What they did have was a powerpoint presentation telling them what they'll be doing and telling them to epxect registration stuff in the post today.

They went and checked and found some comet/sky hd branded leaflets basically telling people to pre-register for Sky HD, with a channel line up on the back.

The leaflet tells public to speak to an advisor, but no one including the manager of the shop knew what to do. The manager reckons there was other paperwork required which they haven't received yet.

I should have known they wouldn't have been prep'd!!!

12. RobbySpurs

RobbySpurs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,862
    does any of this come as any sort of surprise whatsoever? Love to know who at Sky was responsible for picking Comet to "launch" their HD service.

13. usagi13

usagi13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Went to Comet at West Thurrock this afternoon. Lots of leaflets scattered about by the LCD'S/Plasma's but nothing else evident. Spoke to a couple of members of staff about Sky HD but they couldnt give me any useful information.

14. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Comet Watford were very helpful, the details were hidden away in a file behind the counter, the sales assistant entered a SKU for zero value and took down my details, in return I've got a sales receipt for 'REGISTER SKY HD'... The wording on the flyer says 'REGISTER YOUR INTEREST IN SKY HD TODAY to be among the first to hear when you can pre-order your SKY HD box in-store.'

15. pj

pj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    went to the one in merry hill they were helpfull (they had no idea what they were signing me up for though really!) anyway they entered my name and adrress in the computer gave me a receipt and said that as demand is so high now that u have registered u will get first offer/first batch and all the details as soon as they are released (but they dont know when either!) so i got a receipt and probablky lots of spam to follow from sky but no prices or guarantee of a box!

16. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Looks like a trip into the next town over is required after all just to cover all bases, why signing up via SKY's own website isn't enough is beyond me after all that method gives SKY far more details about you and the hardware/sub you currently have.

17. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Well that's all sorted.
    No idea what registering will get me though (the comet guy didn't know and had to ring to confirm the till details).
    :)

18. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    My sales receipt reads as follows...

SALE
    REGISTER SKY HD
    9834 Sky reg MC 1 0.01-
    PACKAGES
    180 902197 SKY SKYSRV 1 0.01
    PACKAGES

19. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    After reading the press launch statement I can't understand why anyone would want to register. What a mediocre offering, what a disappointment.

20. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I can't understand why anyone wouldn't, you're simply registering for the right to purchase from the first batch of boxes with no commitment :suicide: ...

21. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Well what exactly did you expect from SKY?
    A platform has to start somewhere so covering the most popular aspects of SKY's offerings is the place to start.

If you don't like movies or have no interest in rewatching them in HD then waiting for blu-ray/HD-DVD may be a better option.
    If you don't like sport then that's half of SKY's premium content up the creek:)
    As for general entertainment SKY1 has never really tried to be anything other than an importer of high quality/popular US shows (sometimes less than successfully:) ). Documentaries, nature/wildlife programs have all been sourced from third party broadcasters and hopefully Discovery HD Theatre which has a license will join the linup along with HD1/2 which are another source of factual programming.

It's not a mind blowing lineup but then again there is only so much SKY can do by itself but it will grow and develop so if it's not your thing right now it may well be in a year or two.

22. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    I think that post might be misplaced. Digital spy maybe, but not the HD forum here. You've seen how much time, effort and money people here put into tuning into another Beethoven concert on Euro 1080, or a 5 minute loop that might be a test for some Scandinavian channel that they can't understand.

So *any* proper UK launch will be met with enthusiasm by some on here, even if it was just one channel. The fact they are trying a Sky One is actually a bonus for me, and this only covers sky 'first party' channels. the full lineup is likely to be at least two more channels, maybe more.

23. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree with starburst, when you consider people are buying hidef receivers , signing up for 1080, watching wmp clips of spurious content to satisfy their urge for pixel content, its a pretty good stab by Sky.

What do you want to watch with Sky in hidef?

Movies and sport, the rest is on freeview (imo) anyway.

24. Dave911

Dave911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    It would appear to me that if you have registered your interest via the sky hd website, that should be enough :eek: However we are talking sky here so god only knows.
    I for one will not be registering seperately!

I went into Currys on Friday - not a sign of anything, but that does not surprise me. However I went into Comet (Darlington) next door and although they did not have any info about Sky HD they did have six sets (plasmas and LCD's) with an HD trailer running via HDMI from a PC - They also had a DVD connected to a Plasma via an HDMI link - no true HD but I was impressed :thumbsup:

I know its off subject, but good to see that some of the highstreet retailers have woken up to the fact the HD is coming - keep it up :)

25. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Right - off we go to Greenwich Peninsula to see what awaits...

Sunday 28 August

H

26. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I agree, direct contact with SKY via the HD website should be enough but it may be that they are doing a deal with Comet to showcase SKY+ HD and in return Comet will be one of the few suppliers and get the first batch of hardware. The issue is of course that any firm orders they get would then be passed onto SKY anyway:)

It cost me a quid and 20mins to signup, if that gets me a SKY+ HD in the first wave then it was money well spent, if I stayed at home and didn't get one of the first boxes then I would be kicking myself:)

27. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yay! Greenwich Peninsula Comet to the rescue. Went in and 2 people didn't know much (although one guy said they had had some leaflets and forms which had all gone). Said I wasn't interested in leaflets - just wanted to get my name in the system as others have managed. Was advised to leave my name on a piece of paper (yeah....).

Then Erol, a very helpful Comet staffer, heard what I was after. Produced the relevant information from behind the counter, signed me up (no cost) and that was easy! He also showed me their line of screens running a HD presentation (from PC) - very nice. That store must have about every screen on the market - never seen so many!! Very impressed. He even found a leaflet for me.

So if anyone in East London or South East London wants to sign up - then head for Greenwich and ask for Erol - make him manager I say!

BTW Starburst - didn't cost anything - receipt shows a penny spent but didn't have to shell out. I was so happy I bought a new DVI cable for DVD player.....

Howard :clap:

28. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same as Bayards - a quid :confused:

Also - 20 minutes, what did they do that took 20 mins? (Or was 19 of them spent scratching their heads and looking for the forms :D )

29. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

:)
    Took me that long to drive to the next town which has a Comet and I figure I used about a £1 worth of petrol for my troubles.

30. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want one of those cars that does 100 mile to the gallon :D