1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SIgn of overheating?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bubbauk, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Bubbauk

Bubbauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I was watching the first LOTR and i noticed a slight redish tint to fast moving objects, only very slightly and it was for abotu 2 seconds of the movie, i then after watching it, put the 2nd LOTR about 10 mins later, about 2 hours into it in the battle scene i noticed the redish tint again, then about 5 minutes later the amp switched to stanby mode, i think it may be overheating, i mena i had it on for 5 hours at least handling the video and audio so its not anything major i hope. Im using the Marantz SR4500 with svideo switching and a digital coaxial cable running to the dvd player from the amp.

I have about 15cm above it and unlimited (basically) to either side and nto so around the back of space, it recomends 20cm around all sides, i cant really have this without moving the amp out into the middle of the floor and i dont really see the need if it handled 5 hours of it fine without cutting to stanby. I havent turned it on yet again so im gonna do so now and watch LOTR the 2nd one the rest of the way through, ive left it for about 30mins now.

Should i worry about this or is it normal for prolonged usage of amps?

Also is the redish tint down to the heat problem or the fact im usuing cheapish cables and svideo.

Im usuing profile gold cables, each costing me about £23 each for the svideo and the digital coacial, both 1m long.

Thanks for any help.

2. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Bubbauk,

Have you tried disconnecting the amp, and route your video signal from your dvd straight into your picture source? Try to check each component, is it the dvd player or perhaps your telly perhaps?

Wasabi

3. Bubbauk

Bubbauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The equipment is all brand new, i only noticed the redish tint after hours of watching, and only very slightly, got more noticable after longer times, so about 4 hours of watching it was noticable, its fine for 2 hour long films and love the quality, just wondered if it was overheating or not.

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Are you using a CRT TV, TFT, Plasma or a projector?

5. Bubbauk

Bubbauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Panasonic 28" flatscreen CRT

Panasonic TX28PM1C.

6. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    It could just be the CRT, i know my Hitachi ocationaly gets a bit of a red flare and my Dads cheaper make does quite often so it could just be the CRT as the hun might not be aligned properly or needs deguessing. On the otherhand if the amp is shutting down that is certainly a sign of over heating.

Try your test again, by either pulling the amp out or sticking a desk fan blowing over it (does make a big difference). If you don't get the shuting down it might be overheading. If you've never seen the problem before then it could be a symtom.

Anyway i'd be more concerned about the amp shutting down then the ocational red flare. The cables could possibly make a difference but go for one thats won an award as otherwise it could just be crap in a nice pastic package. I got the QED scart the one that won the what hifi award and that seems ok, haven't noticed that mich difference to be fair though (for the £30).

7. Bubbauk

Bubbauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well ive only had the amp for a few weeks, ive watched several films on it since this happened with lotr and its been fine, no problems at all, ive pulled the amp out a few more cm just incase, but i think it was because of the prolonged usage of it, i think i was playing music through it before lotr aswell so was many hours of it being at highish volumes (about -10db) not that loud but loudu enough.

THanks for the help.

8. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    It could also be the electro/magnets in the amp, they could at their peek couse the redness maybe? If it doesn't happen without going through the amp then it definatly sounds like the amp is causing some sort of interference. Also maybe going through the amp via video switching may introduce this. If it's only occationaly i suppose it isn't that bothersome but if it increases in regularity or length of time it is on, go and get your amp checked, as you don't know what else could be wrong with it.