1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sigma2 Realmagic card question

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jlcrawford, Jun 30, 2004.

1. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have inherited one of these cards from the HTPc I bought from the classifieds-my question is is it any use in the HTPC setup ie does it aid in dvd decoding etc?
    It has SPdif would this be useable also?
    This system is a P4 1.8 with 256 meg ram and I intend to pass dvd accross my network -will it be a high enough spec to achieve this?

2. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Not sure if this will help,but the XCard places virtually no processor demands on the host PC whilst running...I have one,with an AMD 1.8Ghz processor in the PC,and it runs at about 2% processor usage....I'd say the XCard does its job very well...also very nice picture quality.

4. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    The Xcard is a a hardware MPEG decoder.

Therefore, as already stated, it places no CPU strain. The downside is that it does not benefit from the principle advantage of software decoders; upgradeability. While software like TheaterTEk, WinDVD et. al are being constantly upgraded to improve picture quality, the Xcard is stuck with it's silicone.

Now, the Xcard has a VGA output and a PDI output. The VGA output is the external analogue connector you can connect your monitor. This is not very well regarded adnd apparently degardes the picture somewhat. I don't knwo - I've never tried it.

The PDI interface (processor direct) is an on-card header producing pure digital signals. This is ideal for connection to a high-quality processing card such as the Holograph. The neat thing about the Xcard is that it can give you a pure digital hardware path from DVD to output (if your video card has DVI).

I'm pleased with mine in my system. The software is a little flakey but with a realmagic remote, works well.

Cheers

Peter

5. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Peter

Well explained :)

Just a couple of points, yes you are correct that being a hardware solution there is no upgrading, but that only applies to the MPEG decoding part (if using the PDI output). In the PDI output scenario, you can use either Holo or SweetSpot to do the de-interlacing, and this then gives you access to DScaler. This still remains the killer feature for people who prefer the additional control DScaler gives them.
    Another nice thing to consider is the SVideo/Component and RGB *output* features of the card - which are much better 'out of the box' for driving conventional TVs than the SVideo outputs on Radeons etc. This can open up plenty of flexibility, simultaneous output to a standard TV as well as PDI output to an HTPC, and we will soon have SDI output as well to give a mind boggling range of different set up choices!

cheers!

6. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    David

Can you expand on the SDI issue? SDI ouput from Xcard? New Product? A PDI Piggyback? Any plans for HDI?

Peter