Sigma Xcard

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by donmc, Dec 16, 2002.

1. donmc

donmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As this is currently on special offer at SCAN I wondered if anyone had any recent reports on using it.

What cable is required to get the 5.1 audio off the card into an amp with a phone or optical digital input? CAn it be acheived.

Any comments welcome!

2. halephil

halephil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, the Sigma X-Card is an update on the classic Creative Labs DXR2/3 card also known as the Hollywood Plus and is an excellent hardware DVD decoder card offering high quality interlaced video out via composite, S-video and Component. It even supports SCART RGB via an optional bracket+cable. It does also support non-interlaced (progressive scan) via the component out but this is limited to NTSC. There are ways round this restriction if needed.

At one time hardware dvd decoding was the only way to go but once CPU's passed the 1GHz mark software players have become the norm.

If your chosen display has a VGA input (monitor/projector/plasma etc) then go with a software player like PowerDVD (assuming you've got a reasonable spec PC). If your display can't take a VGA input (eg. a TV) then consider the X-Card as a great source - much better than any graphics card "TV" output.

Digital audio (SPDIF) out is an electrical connection using a simple 75 ohm coax cable with phono plug at one end and likely a phono at your AV amp end. If your AV amp only supports Optical then you'll need a converter.

Cheers, Phil

3. donmc

donmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Phil, thats exactly what I wanted to know!

I've recently bought a Panasonic PJ and ProV and am considering the best way to drive it. I've a DVD player with S-Video out but I've read that a PC is the way to go.

Looks like I'll need to read a few more threads!

Cheers
    Don

4. Archos27

Archos27
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I get 576p out of Xcard somehow?

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Don,

If the PJ is the AE100, then you don't need to go the xcard route - you'll get far better results using a software dvd player (such as Powerdvd or Windvd) and using a program caled Powerstrip to set a custom resolution which will do 1:1 matching with the LCD panel in the AE100. Do a search on AE100 and Powerstrip and you'll unearth lots of instructions/comments.

There is a recent thread on using an xcard hooked up to a capture card and using Dscaler - have a look-see, but for a first foray into the wild and wonderful land of HCPCs, I'd recommend the Powerdvd route.

Sean G.

6. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    general consensus on the xcard from various forums seems to be that it has excellent MPEG decoding capability but is let down somewhat by the hardware after that (output circutry & connectors etc.)

However, it does have a PDI connector for direct digital link to PDi compatible capture cards. I have mine hooked up to the Holograph H3D-I and the picture is fantastic - as good as TheaterTek 1.5 and with less stutter.

Hope that helps

Peter

7. Archos27

Archos27
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0