Sigma (UK) & Buying From Overseas

Pirate!!

Banned
http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/pdfs/going_grey.pdf

In other words, OneStop Digital. If like me your lens is under 12 months old and is covered by a Sigma International Warranty but you bought it from OSD, then expect to pay £74.99 for a repair plus postage of the lens to Sigma (UK).

All in all, it will cost me nearly the full purchase price to get my lens repaired and it will be guaranteed for 6 months thereafter.

Whoopy doo. I've written to OSD as well. Now I'm really @&**#!x off.

SO BE AWARE PEOPLE

jmbrailsford

You could send it back to OSD for repair under the warranty, no? You're lucky Sigma UK will even look at it, although I suppose they would do as you are paying for the repair just as if it was out of warranty.

This is precisely the reason I buy from within the UK, especially as the savings buying from Hong Kong are sometimes just not worth it. I try and warn people about this sort of thing when the HK prices are banded about, Nikon gear isn't covered by a UK warranty either if bought overseas and Canon gear will only be covered if the customs duty has been paid which essentially makes it a UK lens.

Not a great help I know but it is a warning to would-be bargain hunters.

Mike.

loz

And the utter hypocracy of Sigma's ramblings is that they are happy to sell their lenses by the truck load to people like OSD, knowing full well where those lenses end up.

Paulie-W

Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd does not condone the
avoidance of the payment of VAT and import duty.
Any claims on our 12 month International Warranty
from the owners of products not imported
into the UK by Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd must
therefore be accompanied by proof of payment of
import duty & VAT.

Shocking.

So what if you went on holiday and bought, then used the lens. Would you declare it going through customs? I doubt it.

loz

Shocking.

So what if you went on holiday and bought, then used the lens. Would you declare it going through customs? I doubt it.
Well, legally you are obliged too. (note, VAT and duty applies equally to 2nd hand goods you import, not just new items)

So it isn't really "shocking" of Sigma to ask.
But equally, you could argue it is none of their business...

Sigma's International Warranty, like other manufacturers, only covers the lens when bought from a "legitimate" source. That is, if you bought it in a store in the UK, and had correct paperwork, then you should be able to send it in for repair in another country (say if it broke whilst you were overseas). Similarly if you bought it in the USA from a proper Sigma dealer, and paid your VAT and Duty on import to the UK, then Sigma UK would honor the International warranty.

What it doesn't do - and some ebay sellers mislead on - is allow you to bypass the normal import channels, but still believe because it has an international warranty you are still OK if it goes wrong.

Pirate!!

Banned
Well, legally you are obliged too. (note, VAT and duty applies equally to 2nd hand goods you import, not just new items)

So it isn't really "shocking" of Sigma to ask.
But equally, you could argue it is none of their business...

Sigma's International Warranty, like other manufacturers, only covers the lens when bought from a "legitimate" source. That is, if you bought it in a store in the UK, and had correct paperwork, then you should be able to send it in for repair in another country (say if it broke whilst you were overseas). Similarly if you bought it in the USA from a proper Sigma dealer, and paid your VAT and Duty on import to the UK, then Sigma UK would honor the International warranty.

What it doesn't do - and some ebay sellers mislead on - is allow you to bypass the normal import channels, but still believe because it has an international warranty you are still OK if it goes wrong.
Listen. An International warranty is Global . . correct? So, what TF has VAT or Duty got to do with anything? If it was bought in Outer Mongolia it ought to be covered anywhere in the World.

Frankly, Sigma (UK) are screwing us. SIGMA supply the warranty and make the rules.

Sigma (UK) . . I supplied you with a legimate reciept which is under 1 year old (not my problem what or how much Duty/VAT was/wasn't paid to HM Treasury & Customs). You quote VAT and Duty has to be shown on the reciept/invoice. It would cost me less to pay the VAT on the original purchase price than your Level 5 Tariff for the 'repair' which shouldn't have been necessary in the first place.

I may as well bend over for a while longer 'cos everyone is shafting me right now.

And YES . . I am on a Major downer.

Oh man, I'm so wound up. I've just sold a Sigma 55-200 DC and a Minolta 28-85 macro. I've got a Sigma 24-70mm EX DG left.

Oh, and here's another gem. Sigma EX lenses on Sigma (UK) website. Register for extended 3 year warranty. RIGHT!

Only if the serial number tallies with Sigma (UK) and was supplied by Sigma (UK) via UK retailers.

Makes me wanna puke! An EX is an EX. Might as well use a milk bottle.

denno75uk

I get your point here Pirate. If all Sigma lenses are manufactured in the same place, then the warranty should be valid regardless of duty paid (or not) on it. The stuff about detrimental storage conditions is scraping the barrel a bit methinks.
And as far as import duty etc goes...What difference does the VAT make to Sigma, as it goes to the govt anyway? The only thing I can think of is that it's a bit lik the rip-off Britain thing. That the UK ex VAT prices have a margin built in to cover the cost of the extended warranty.
Still stinks. Unlucky mate.

Paulie-W

Surely though it s not the end buyers fault if 1stop or any other international sellers dont fill in the customs forms correctly. And considering 1stop gaurentees that vat etc will be refunded if you do get stung. I guess with sigma, black isnt quite black & white isnt quite white. And what if it was a no reciept gift, whats one supposed to do then?

"I got it as a gift from a family member who has now passed away"

I actually wonder just how legal this might be.

Bristol Pete

Novice Member
Sorry to hear that.

However, these are the express reasons that we had that long camera shop debate back in Jan and the sole reasons why various companies are offering cash back. Effectively promoting the purchase of UK stock.

Canon, Nikon, Sigma, Panasonic etal have all stopped servicing non UK sourced goods under warranty. They do take payment as you have found out.

To most people the lure of the web is too strong, but cases like this can prove that sometimes the palpable service of a shop of any type is a better option.

Hope it gets sorted and your lens is back asap.

loz

Listen. An International warranty is Global . . correct? So, what TF has VAT or Duty got to do with anything? If it was bought in Outer Mongolia it ought to be covered anywhere in the World.

Frankly, Sigma (UK) are screwing us. SIGMA supply the warranty and make the rules.
Well it is their warranty, they can make the rules.

There is no legal obligation on Sigma to provide any warranty whatsoever, and certainly no international "standard" for what consitutes an international warranty.

Like I said, most manufacturer's "warranties" contain such rules about buying from legitimate sources.

loz

Surely though it s not the end buyers fault if 1stop or any other international sellers dont fill in the customs forms correctly. And considering 1stop gaurentees that vat etc will be refunded if you do get stung. I guess with sigma, black isnt quite black & white isnt quite white. And what if it was a no reciept gift, whats one supposed to do then?

"I got it as a gift from a family member who has now passed away"

I actually wonder just how legal this might be.
There can't be anything illegal, as their is no law requiring Sigma to provide a warranty, or to honour it. The only thing that matters in this country is the sales of goods act (which doesn't require warranties), and if you bought it from Hong Kong, well you haven't got a leg to stand on...

Gifts aren't exempt from VAT and duty either. You are supposed to declare them too.

Like it or not, them's the rules...

Paulie-W

There can't be anything illegal, as their is no law requiring Sigma to provide a warranty, or to honour it. The only thing that matters in this country is the sales of goods act (which doesn't require warranties), and if you bought it from Hong Kong, well you haven't got a leg to stand on...

Gifts aren't exempt from VAT and duty either. You are supposed to declare them too.

Like it or not, them's the rules...

I guess, bit it still sucks.

jmbrailsford

As I said already post it back to OSD and they will fix it for free. As with all faulty goods surely they go back to the point of sale for them to deal with.

Mike.

springtide

Distinguished Member
As I said already post it back to OSD and they will fix it for free. As with all faulty goods surely they go back to the point of sale for them to deal with.

Mike.
Thats exactly what I would do!

You don't need to deal with the manufacture for the first year since it's the point of sale in the UK (if they are UK based) who are "bound" to fix the item!

cedmondson

I'm confused by this. Reading the OPs post suggests the faulty lens is still under 12 months old but Sigma are claiming no international warranty applies.

Yet this paragraph in the attached document:
"Sigma EX products sourced from
foreign markets will not include the
valuable addition of Sigma Imaging (UK)
Ltd’s extended UK warranty, offering
an extra two years free of charge to
provide an unrivalled three years’
peace of mind."

..surely seems to acknowledge that the first year of warranty cover is still valid for non-locally sourced products?
Something to pursue with them perhaps, Pirate?

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
As Pete suggests - this is less about Sigma, and more about their authorised suppliers in the UK.

It's a difficult enough for them to be competitive in the market at the best of times - but they just can't compete with those sellers that can allow the buyer to avoid paying duty/VAT. There is nothing the UK Supplier or Sigma can do about this, so they've come up with this to ensure that UK buyers get the best deal.

The way I see it, buying from overseas is always a risk, the warranty issue is just part of this risk. You could try returning it OSD and asking them to repair it. They could then return it to Sigma on your behalf.

To be honest, i'm surprised that you even bothered returning to Sigma UK, they just can't be seen to condone tax free imports - their suppliers in the UK would go mad!

Usually, only lenses come with international warranties, not camera bodies (Nikons do anyway) Either way, as others have said, you have to declare these purchases and pay your duty on them, for them to be covered.

The bottom line is, if it's cheaper, it's cheaper for a reason. It's well worth looking into what you're missing out on in the long run, before you make your savings at the till. Personally, with lenses, i'm willing to take the risk - I wouldn't do the same on a Camera body.

Hope it all works out for you, Pirate

Pirate!!

Banned
I'm confused by this. Reading the OPs post suggests the faulty lens is still under 12 months old but Sigma are claiming no international warranty applies.
Yet this paragraph in the attached document:
"Sigma EX products sourced from
foreign markets will not include the
valuable addition of Sigma Imaging (UK)
Ltd’s extended UK warranty, offering
an extra two years free of charge to
provide an unrivalled three years’
peace of mind."
..surely seems to acknowledge that the first year of warranty cover is still valid for non-locally sourced products?
Something to pursue with them perhaps, Pirate?

Sigma (UK) have all my documentation including purchase invoice from OSD fro my 70-300. As for Sigma (UK) EX glass, Sigma (UK) will not apply their ension to 3 year warranty if the lens was bought outside of the UK (separate issue).

It is irrelivant if a lens wa sourced from outside the UK. Sigma make the lens and therefore should hounour it's own manufacturers warranty irrespective where in the World you happen to be.

The point Sigma (UK) are amking is one of VAT and/or duty. This (IMHO) has no bearing on the simple fact that a Sigma product became faulty within 12 months and as far as I'm concerned, ought to be rectified under guarantee.

VAT/duty is a matter for the shipper and HM Customs & Excise. Anyway, what's done is done. I just feel screwed on the basis that Sigma (UK) cite VAT/duty as reason not to fix their own product within their own international warranty period, and under the terms of the warranty, which has nothing to do with duty/VAT . . . or so you would reasonably think, which is why after I first phoned Sigma (UK), they said "send it".

lurcher

Just recently tried to register an EX Sigma lens for the additional 2 years warranty , but this has been rejected by Sigma UK as the serial number details I supplied does not correspond with their list of official Sigma uk imported lens.
I bought the lens drom 7dayshop in Guernsey , who advertised the lens as UK vat paid , I did not consider I was purchasing a grey import or avoiding vat/import duties as this was paid by the importer 7dayshop .
Anyone else had this on a EX lens registration ?

Thanks

lurcher

Just had the same battle with sigma UK, I could put up with the £74.00 to remove an earwig and clean. What is more shocking is their diabolical customer service, blatant lies and nearly 3 month wait.

Did you manage to register your lens for the additional 2 year warranty ?

gpa

Banned
No but then I never expected too.

Sigma's stance is non negotiable, buy in the UK and get the extra warranty and FOC repairs, buy outside UK and get b-gger all. So anyone who claims international warranty is telling you a big fat fib, you could of course send it back to the company you purchased it from and hope they resolve it for you.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton