Sigma HSM

woolster80

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding the Sigma HSM which i'm struggling to find a definitive answer for online.

I have a Nikon D3100 which requires the lenses I buy to have the motors built in. Can anyone confirm whether the HSM element of Sigma lenses covers this requirement? I'm specifically looking at this lense:-

Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 DG OS Lens for Nikon AFD - 589955 - Jessops - Lenses

Which states this:-

HSM with Inner Focus
This lens is equipped with a Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) for fast and quiet focusing. As focus and zooming are both internal mechanisms, the lens does not rotate or change size at all during focusing or zooming. In addition Full Time Manual Focus allows you to override the AF motor simply by twisting the focus barrel manually.

EDIT - I've just found this which seems to confirm compatibility if i'm reading it right:-

http://lenshero.com/lens/Sigma-70-200mm-f2.8-II-EX-DG-APO-Macro-HSM-Nikon-f-lens

Thanks Dancook. It does seem that everything is pointing in the direction of it being compatible, but i'm still pretty new to the game and this will be my first non-Nikon lens purchase so am nervous going ahead until I know 100% that it'll work. Was thiking about popping into Jessops on my lunch tomorrow to see what they say - am assuming they would know for definite?

I would also say,to have a look for the Nikon 70-200 VR MK 1,you might just be able to pick one up s/h,for the same price as the new sigma one,and will be a much better lens :)

I thought the 2.8 Siggie got pretty good reviews ? :confused:

Jim

It sure did, it got excellent reviews, which is why i've been leaning towards that one new.

No warranty s/h Nikkie vs New 5 year warranty Siggie for same money ? I know what I would buy ;) - but of course I've got a Sony DSLR :laugh:

Jim

Ah yes, I remember your unhealthy bias towards Sony on my starting up thread a while back! :D

The one thing with Sigma is that I would really want to try it on on camera or have a good returns policy. Of course every lens can have issues but it would be a shame to spend so much and find it is back or front focussing.

Personally I'd would rather go for a second hand or new if you were willing to spend a grand, a Nikon Nikkor AF-S 80-200. It is very good and sun star heaven apparently :)

I'd absolutely love to go for this:-

Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 ED VR II Lens - JAA807DA - Jessops - Lenses

But it is way out of my price range. Even second hand it only saves maybe around £300. £1000 is my absolute upper limit - even that is really stretching me. I'd decided on the Sigma due to the excellent reviews but i'm now in a bit of a dilemma as to whether to go for the Sigma new, or an earlier Nikon AF-S second hand.

The Sigma goes for about 300-350 second hand, that should say it all :)

I'd go for the Nikon but the 80-200 version in AF-S.

I'd absolutely love to go for this:-

Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 ED VR II Lens - JAA807DA - Jessops - Lenses

But it is way out of my price range. Even second hand it only saves maybe around £300. £1000 is my absolute upper limit - even that is really stretching me. I'd decided on the Sigma due to the excellent reviews but i'm now in a bit of a dilemma as to whether to go for the Sigma new, or an earlier Nikon AF-S second hand.

Go for the Sigma new, better deal overall. The Nikon is better but not by much.

I got my last 3 Sigma's from OSD onestop-digital in HK and for an extra £10 you get 7 years warranty for the UK and EU. Bargain.

When you get the lens, a few days later you get an email with all the information on the 7 years warranty and go to a link here in the UK for the registration process. Fill in all that is requested and within a week all the warranty docs arrive. That's it, and its still cheaper than the 2nd hand Nikon.

I like Nikon lenses, they are good, but the Sigma with the 7 year warranty option NEW!!! Is a no brainer in my honest opinion. :D

Hope that helps.

icemanonline

Also check this lens out - longer but complete bargain and again 7 year warranty still extra £10
http://www.onestop-digital.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=33659

Last edited:
No I mean the 80-200 AF-S f/2.8. It is without VR and the predecessor of the 70-200 VR f/2.8. Due to its design it is a classic that can still be bought new, has the AF-S motor for your camera, is bokehlicious, but in addition is amazing at creating sun stars of shiny surfaces :)

It was made between 1999-2004, but I would say even second hand it would be an ace buy :)

That is the one :) That one looks in good nick with all the parts together hence the price, the AF-D versions go for a bit less but you need the AF-S model. Here is a review

Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-S

I just missed out on a battered old one today, very used but optically good. A friend of mine has got the AF-D version with his D300s.

Thanks again.

Now I know that an f2.8 lens on my little D3100 is probably going to look a bit daft, but I don't have the money for a new lens AND body at the minute, and the lens is of a higher priority. Apart from how it will look, are there any real technical reasons that this kind of lens can't go on my camera i.e. is there anything that will stop it from fitting/working properly? I can't find anything to suggest a problem as its the right fitting and contains the motor, but you never know.

Thanks again.

Now I know that an f2.8 lens on my little D3100 is probably going to look a bit daft, but I don't have the money for a new lens AND body at the minute, and the lens is of a higher priority. Apart from how it will look, are there any real technical reasons that this kind of lens can't go on my camera i.e. is there anything that will stop it from fitting/working properly? I can't find anything to suggest a problem as its the right fitting and contains the motor, but you never know.

Should I worry about the amount of fall off on the 80-200:-

nikkor 80-200/2.8 test
Don't think so. After all you'll be using a full frame lens on a crop body so you'll be using the centre bit only. Can't say I've come across fall-off as a problem anywhere else.

I think the thing you especially have to be aware of is carry it by the lens :) It will be heavy, hence the tripod mount on the lens. But as long as you've got AF-S you'll be fine.

Don't think so. After all you'll be using a full frame lens on a crop body so you'll be using the centre bit only. Can't say I've come across fall-off as a problem anywhere else.

I think the thing you especially have to be aware of is carry it by the lens :) It will be heavy, hence the tripod mount on the lens. But as long as you've got AF-S you'll be fine.

Yeah I have thought about the weight and am contemplating getting a monopod - although i'm a bit worried I might look daft with a miniature camera, huge lens and a monopod!! :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom