Sigma EF-500 DG Super

A[L]C

Novice Member
Hi all,

Been offered the above for £50. Would you say this is a good deal or should I be looking at one of the speedlites?

Thanks
Paul

senu

Distinguished Member
Get a speed light..
I speak from own experience having first got a Sigma.( i still have it as it is handy as a slave to my Canon wireless transmitter ST-E2 but it doesnt get much use anymore.
I was getting inconsistent results with it and had to give up gracefully
Others may well have had better luck with it
Specs wise it is better than a 430 (1), but in practice I find the speedlights work far more seamlessly with a Canon DSLR

Last edited:

Riyazi

I have to disagree with Senu - I have been using a Sigma EF500 for my off camera flash stuff and it works perfectly well. For £50, as long as it is in good condition, I think it is well worth it especially since it has more features than the 430EX or 430EXII. The only issue I have with the Sigma is that it is bulky and looks like an old model, whereas the 430EX and EXII are smaller, lighter and more modern looking.

Pirate!!

Banned
A[L]C;11444175 said:
Hi all,

Been offered the above for £50. Would you say this is a good deal or should I be looking at one of the speedlites?

Thanks
Paul
Worth every penny but I've read reports that it can over expose but apparently Sigma will re-calibrate it if this is the case (Sigma USA does anyway).

No great shakes, just email Sigma (UK) about the possibility of re-calibration should it be required. Oh, and ask the seller if he/she has had any issues in that department. An excellent flash BTW. If there is any warranty and/or a reciept, that would help as well should it still be under warranty.

senu

Distinguished Member
Maybe I have a faulty one? I dont know but I can only say that I have had a lot more joy from my 430 than the Sigma and not for lack of trying
I was quite keen on the Sigma and its bulk doesnt bother me but It just isnt consisitent with me
For £50 its a bargain but not if it fails to deliver and lead to frustration.
I also have a friend who got one for his Dynax 7D and could not get on with it

Riyazi

Senu - perhaps try getting re-calibrated as suggested by Pirate. Dont know how much it would cost to do that though if you are out of warranty

A[L]C

Novice Member
I think I need to try a 430. Don't know anyone with one around Maidenhead though, so not sure how!

Hell for £50 i'd buy it in a second as I'd love a second to go with my existing one!

I must admit that although I don't use mine often I've never had any problems with it whatsoever. Yeah it's 'complicated' but no more so than the equivalent Canon or Metz ones. What I love about it is that you can just set it to full auto and it will effectively behave as your pop up flash (just a hell of a lot better!) or you can get really creative with it.

Oh and one other thing that often gets over looked. The EF-500 DG Super has one excellent feature that you CAN'T get on ANY Canon Speedlite. It'll slave to your pop up flash without the need for any cables, triggers or anything. Simply set it to Slave, put it wherever you want it to be and when ever your pop up flash fires, so will the Sigma! Don't like the light from your pop up flash? Fine, use ANY speedlite, Canon, Sigma, Metz, Jessops, whatever and the Sigma will still slave to it!

£50! What are you waiting for?

A[L]C

Novice Member
Hell for £50 i'd buy it in a second as I'd love a second to go with my existing one!

I must admit that although I don't use mine often I've never had any problems with it whatsoever. Yeah it's 'complicated' but no more so than the equivalent Canon or Metz ones. What I love about it is that you can just set it to full auto and it will effectively behave as your pop up flash (just a hell of a lot better!) or you can get really creative with it.

Oh and one other thing that often gets over looked. The EF-500 DG Super has one excellent feature that you CAN'T get on ANY Canon Speedlite. It'll slave to your pop up flash without the need for any cables, triggers or anything. Simply set it to Slave, put it wherever you want it to be and when ever your pop up flash fires, so will the Sigma! Don't like the light from your pop up flash? Fine, use ANY speedlite, Canon, Sigma, Metz, Jessops, whatever and the Sigma will still slave to it!

Nice one. Ive got the flash here but no manual. How do I put it in slave?

senu

Distinguished Member

I agree although I only ever used it once like that and that is infact why I still have it, to use as a second slave ( wireless) with my Canon ST-E2
As said , if it works at £50 it a real bargain . I just never got it to work for me and though I have not given up on it completely I always go for the Canon speedlight first, since I have that choice

in suport of the above though:D
This is it being triggered by on board flash

A[L]C;11454463 said:
Nice one. Ive got the flash here but no manual. How do I put it in slave?
It's easier to follow the manual, you can download it here Sigma - Flashes and you want page 28.

Basically it's a case of pressing the Mode button until it says SL

HTH

A[L]C

Novice Member
Thanks got it. Although the pre flash on my 400D triggers it too early - any way to stop this?

senu

Distinguished Member
Turn off pre flash .. ie turn off AF assist

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom