Question Sigma Designs Boxes

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Wazza69, Jul 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Wazza69

Wazza69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

I have a Popcorn Hour A410 which I love and hate. I am very fussy with picture quality and I find the Sigma Designs chip to be superior to some of the Android based designs. I find it on par with a good Bluray Player except for some strange colour tinting which I never managed to resolve. The other issue is that the interface is really slow and dated.

Are there any more modern designs that use a Sigma Designs or similar chip? Ideally with more modern architecture that supports 4k etc and a more modern interface design.

Thanks

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,156
    AppleTV 4K would be what I would recommend, of course not Sigma Based but Apple do good quality hardware.

You have a choice of InFuse Pro or MrMC (an app store fork of Kodi formally XBMC). Very slick interface in general, automatic adjustment based on content 24Hz, HDR10, Dolby Vision, RGB,YUV output etc.

For audio output see InFuse FAQ the best audio you can get is 7.1 PCM (no TrueHD/DTS-HD bitstreaming). Dolby Atmos has been added in latest ATV beta OS but it remains to be seen how that works out.

I do not care for the ATV remote but thankfully you can use HDMI-CEC for TV remote or IR based universal remotes.