1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 APO MACRO SUPER II

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by dejongj, May 4, 2005.

1. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Last weekend was the first time I had a chance to take my new Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 APO MACRO SUPER II out...(Phew, ridiculous long name...)

I originally bought the Nikon 70-300G as it can be had for as little as £69ish, but returned it immediately as I was provided a silver one which looks horrible with my black camera body. I decided against getting a black one due to the long delivery times and also I found that the lense build quality felt really cheap.

Anyway the built-quality of the Sigma APO is so much better. But what really counts is the image quality of-course. I think it is pretty good considering it is only £139.....

But who am I to judge my own work, let me know what you think....

BTW The picture of the steamtrain close-up blowing steam is shot on the Nikon 18-70 kit lense. All photo's were shot on a D70, the sigma shots are all on full 300 zoom with just a little sharpening in photoshop. Unbelievably they were all handheld, no tripod used. The Lion shot through my car window.....

Attached Files:

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I did exactly the same as you - changing the 70-300G Nikkor for the Sigma and am very pleased with it. Like you say, for the money it's a very nice lens indeed.

Nice shots - bearing it mind they're handheld at 300mm they're pretty sharp.

3. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    the sigma ios a gem of a lens for that price, i have one and its far better than i thought it would be, the raptor shots in my gallery were all taken with it, and at 300mm its not too hard to get a good sharp shot(unless its windy, lol)

4. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    I was lucky with the light as well, it enabled faster shutter speeds...

@Mattym: I saw your gallery last week and couldn't wait to get my lense. You've got some great shots...As you like Longleat, I can recommend Woburn as well...Similar setup with Safari Park and Manor House...

@Radiohead: Looks like I am taking a similar path, next in my lense wishes is the 50 f1.8 prime....

I realise that there are better lenses to be had, but these lenses in the under £150 bracket give some pretty good value for money don't they?

5. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Absolutely - and for those of us without big bucks to spend (and with evil CD habits) they offer a great compromise.

The 50mm f/1.8 is a really nice lens, fast, sharp and affordable.

6. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    thanks for looking and im glad you like it!

i will be doing the rounds in the summer.... :D