Sigma 30mm 1.4 on a crop sensor camera

AVRocky

Was considering this for some street photography slightly wide shots. But considering I'd be using a crop sensor camera (550D), the focal length would in reality be 48mm. This doesn't sound appropriate although I've heard 48mm would be good enough. I'd like to ask if anyone here has some photos from a crop sensor camera using the Sigma 30mm, photos that are not portraits or even better yet wide photos

twist

Distinguished Member
Best bet is to check Flickr. Just type in the lens name and go to the group OR try pixelpeeper. This is a very good lens on crop. To get the FF 35mm youll need a +-20mm lens on a Canon.

Last edited:

Jammyb

Any images you see from this lens are crop as it's a crop sensor only lens. 48mm is around the classic 'normal' focal length that all rangefinder type cameras used for decades and most classic street photography shots were taken at.

Probably not wide enough for 'shoot from the hip' type shots if that's what you're after though.

twist

Distinguished Member
Its gonna be tough to decide between an equivalent 35mm and 50mm until youve used both.

dave_bass5

Distinguished Member
After owning 3 copies of this lens over a period of two years and two camera bodies i found street photography to be its weakness. Indoors it s great but my last copy was terrible outside when shooting, say across the road. Even at f/8 it would mis focus quite a bit.
Might just have been my copy but i got a 35mm f/2 and had no problems with it.

D

Deleted member 27989

I must admit I've only used mine for portrait stuff so far. Must take it out on some street stuff.

eduk

Distinguished Member
Was considering this for some street photography slightly wide shots. But considering I'd be using a crop sensor camera (550D), the focal length would in reality be 48mm. This doesn't sound appropriate although I've heard 48mm would be good enough. I'd like to ask if anyone here has some photos from a crop sensor camera using the Sigma 30mm, photos that are not portraits or even better yet wide photos

Have a play with this:

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/simulator/

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom