1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Siemens CX65 or SonyE K700i?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Jamp, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Jamp

Jamp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking of going for one of these two on O2 Online, the SE would cost £30 whereas the Siemens is free.

What I mainly want is decent battery life and a hassle free mobile with no bugs or annoyances. I think I've narrowed it down to these two, just based on liking Siemens phones and liking the look (and feature list) of the SE.

Anyone got either or able to comment or make a recommendation?

Cheers,

Ben

2. hongkonguk

hongkonguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I would recommend you go and have a look at the Siemens. I have the same dilemma and went to the O2 shop to check them out but didnt like the cheap plastic the Siemens used or the 'clicky' buttons. They were deafening!!

I have narrowed my choice down to the SE and a Nokia 6600 for features. But by the time I upgrade (beginning of August) they may be more choices available.

3. Jamp

Jamp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers HK. I've had a brief look at both the Siemens and the Sony (seperately) and both seemed quite solid. I'm going to try and see them together and hopefully have a demo tomorrow though. Also considering a Nokia 6230 now, much as it pains me to consider a Nokia, it seems to meet my requirements quite well.

I've heard of lots of bugs with both the Sony and the Siemens, as well as awful battery life for the Sony, so I'm really not sure which to go for.

Any further opinions would be much appreciated.

Also, a few questions about O2 Online. I'm thinking of the 100min contract which is £25/month, but can I change tariff if I find another one would work out better for me. And if I were to get the Sony and choose the 200min contract to get it for free, could I then downgrade to a cheaper contract? ;)
    Why is their website so useless? Only works half of the time to view the shop, and will never let me log on with my PAYG username. A bit worrying really.

Cheers,

Ben :)

4. vickylin

vickylin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    originally, I was thinking of getting Nokia 6230, but when K700i was out, it seem like a better choice, except not enough stock to feed the demand, while I was waiting for K700i, CX65 is now available, Goodness, I don't know what to choose now.

Nokia is much stable and will not crash like so many people said about K700i or CX65. and after few months of release, little people compliant about it. after so many years with nokia, it can be difficult to change the habit on using the phone.

K700i has much better function and appearance, except the plastic-cheap look of digit keypad. one major problem is the software bug that freezes the phone. although theoratically Sony Ericcson should release new firmware to fix the bugs, but who knows how long will it take!! (ps.if buying from Orange, the you may have more difficulty to update the firmware as oragne actually has own firmware installed to K700i)

CX65, also has better function than Nokia, although there's bug too, but seimens is quick to fix it! latest firmware can now be downloaded from its website. Plus...it has a 1.3mega pixel camera! so why didn't i go for it yet? well, its look doesn't really appeal to me, and I don't know if 'text' function is easy to use. I am gonna go find out.

If any of you had made a decision, please share your view.

In sum, I like K700i the most, but I am worried about bug and poor battery life. I don't quite like the look of CX65 but 1.3 mega pixel is very attractive! NOKIA? maybe!...if both fail to satisfy me.

5. hongkonguk

hongkonguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    As far as I am aware,the CX65 has a VGA camera similar in spec to the Sony K700i. I have just ordered the K700i (get it tomorrow). I will post to let people know my impressions of it if anyone wants me to?

As for the o2 deal mentioned earlier,the K700i is now free for new customers on any tariff. Same as the Nokia 6230,which is not without its problems either.......

6. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I tried the K700 and have to say it was pants. Went back to my Nokia 6230 - which, as a business phone, is a much more robust proposition.

The K700 did NOT like bluetooth (strange for a company who like to bill themselves as the leaders in that technology) - the voice calling function was the very worst I've tried on any phone (important for hands free dialling) - specifically recording the voice tag in the first instance and then recognising it once you want to recall.

Also the bluetooth reception was poor/patchy, and when the phone rings you hear a standard trill tone in the earpiece irrespective to what ring tone you may have the handset set to (again important if you are using tones to differentiate callers).

On top of all that the Sony kept dropping calls in marginal signal areas where my 6230 doesnt.

Nah...stay away from the K700, don't know about the Siemens however. :lesson: