sidewinder driver help

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by jelly, Apr 17, 2004.

1. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    hi chaps have recentley dug out my old sidewinder joystick but the driver for the stick isnt compatible with XP is there any way around this?????

2. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try going to the manufacturers website to look for newer drivers or do a bit of googling and see if there's one there.

:)

3. sc1977

sc1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    xp has its own driver for a sidewinder

go to control pannel add hard ware and select joystick and there should be a long list of available ones of witch a sidwinder should be available

doesn t xp detect it the inute you plug it in?

4. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    it is detected in the hard ware but cant control any games with it

5. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    any chance of a link to the site??? DRIVING me nuts!!!!!

6. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I hope you get your driver issue sorted, I'v found microsofts treatment of customers incredibly shabby, contemptuous and unforgivable - imagine, THEY produce the operating systems used in the vast majority of pc's yet the drivers for their joysticks and wheels are in most cases NOT compatiable with w2000 and xp - thanks to their incompetance, I now have a near new ff steering wheel which will not work because the 'microsoft driver' is not compatiable with the 'microsoft o.s'!
    This is all the more ironic as microsoft have some of the best controllers on the market - their sidewinder force feedback wheel and sidewinder joysticks are multi award winners and until this farce, I always purchased these automatically, knowing that I was buying the best but now. I'm on the lookout for a new wheel and I would'nt touch microsoft with a laser pointer!
    The drivers included in the control panel are basic (as is the case with my wheel) and some don't work.

7. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    my point exactley

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,620
    The microsoft FF wheels do work under XP. They are detected automatically and no driver software is needed. The problem is usually that the game does not work properly under XP with force feedback.
    Last year I phoned Microsoft up and raged about the wheel being of no use now, but when the support guy had calmed me down enough he suggested I download a Microsoft driving game and try it with that. Sure enough it worked perfectly. I now have a dual boot system so I can have Grandprix3 and CM Rally2 on a Windows ME partition then those games will work with the wheel.

9. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    But if your unfortunate enough to use w2000 pro (like me), the ff wheel does NOT work.
    As far as I'm concerned, microsoft controllers are to be avoided at all costs - looks like saitek and thrustmaster have a new customer!

10. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,620
    As far as W2KPro is concerned I would agree with you !

11. bigb

bigb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I had the same problem with my old sidewinder-found out the only one that works is the sidewinder 2nd model:(

12. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The MS Precision 2 usb sticks are plug and play compatible with Windows XP. No need to configure or setup.

My pc automatically recognised when I plugged mine in and it works great in Battlefield 2 no problems.

I heard the Feedback function is no longer supported, which is why I just went for the Precision 2. Still easily the best controllers ever made for the PC for the mainstream market anyway.

Incidentally the reason MS no longer support them is that they no longer make controllers and have no plans to again in the future. They only ever lost money on the controller side of the business, they were too expensive to manufacture. Its a shame as they are miles better than the other cheap controllers doing the rounds now that break after a couple of weeks light use.