Side Speakers in long rooms? Two pairs, Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Nic Rhodes, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    A slightly unusual request for information, perhaps from people with similar situations. I am potentially looking to put a system into a long room (almost 30 foot in length). I have been investigating how best to deal with the side speakers (of a 7.1 system) in such a long room.

The speakers I currently have are dipoles. Cinemas have multiple speakers down each side wall, though I suspect that these are direct radiators. I am considering if it is possible, within a domestic situation, to use more than one pair of speakers down the sides.

Does anyone use more than one pair of any speaker as the side speakers in their set up?

If I was to use more than one pair of dipoles, how do I get around cancellation problems?

Am I asking for real trouble on this one, I am not in the position to try this at the moment and I am therefore looking for any experience to guide any test at a later stage.

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Hi Nic

I tried a similar thing a while ago, but in a smaller room 2.5m wide by 4.5 m long, just out of curiosity.

I used dipoles at the sides further in front of the listening position and direct radiators just behind. Also another pair of direct radiators as surround backs.

The sound was certainly spread throughout the whole room, but i cant say whether there was any cancellation going on, maybe it would be different with another combination of speakers.

The amp used was the Denon A1SE, i had the dipoles connected to Surround A , the directs to Surround B, then set the amp to output both A/B.

The dipoles were set about 2/3 ft above head height and some 3 ft in front of the listening position, the directs about 1 ft above and about 1 ft behind.

Not quite what your looking at but similar, sort of!!

I would imagine when set up properly it would sound rather good!! pending any acoustic problems!!!

cheers

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Cheers Jase, I was beginning to think I was on my own on this one! Perhaps I should ask it in USA where everything is bigger!

4. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic,
    A pair of M&K SS150 Tripoles at the sides and another pair at the back will fill your room so completely with sound you wont believe it.
    Trouble is you wont believe their price as well.
    1100 pounds per pair.......well worth it though. Superb.

Eric

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    I have a pair (actually two!) of expensive di-poles, the Kef THX in my case. What I am trying to get a handle on is whether these speakers will happily fill a 30 foot long room or will they need some help. The room in question is large and MUCH bigger than anything I have experienced outside of a Cinema. I am therfore looking for people with big long rooms to help.:)

How large is the room you use you 150 in eric?

6. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Hi again Nic

If your using 2 pairs of Kef THX Dipoles, i dont reckon you´ll have any problems at all, when i did my original test it was with a pair of Kef RDM1´s & a pair of Infinity dipoles. Now i´ve got a pair of Kef THX´s and they spread the sound around way better than the aforementioned.

The only problem i thought might occur would be the delay times if you sit a long way from the speakers, but after checking my amp you can sit up to a whopping 18m from the fronts etc (whoops! made a mistake the max distance from each speaker is 4.5m!)

If you were to use another pair of Dipoles at the sides, to avoid any cancellations could you not reverse their phase ( i´m not to up on acoustics etc!!) or place them on a different plane, i.e lower or higher than the other pair?

cheers
    Jase

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Jase

This was pretty much my thoughts on the subject but as I have no experience of such large rooms I thought I would ask to see if anyone did have any experience. My plan was to sit the same distance between the di-poles and switch a set over (marked L and R)

8. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic,
    My Dedicated room is just under 20ft long by 12ft wide (8 ft Ceiling height)

Eric