1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Side Shot Technology

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by WBC, Jul 1, 2003.

1. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I'm gagging to buy a projector but I know they are just NOT wife friendly!!!

I've seen that Sony do two models that use side shot technology, VPL-HS2 & VPL-HS10. Are they any good????

I understand key correction has an impact on picture quality but how much??? I'm sure I'd be allowed a projector if it could stand on a unit at the side of the room. Do any other manufacturers offer anything similar? Would the Sony's be a good bet or should I stick to my 32" TV :confused:

Thanks People
    Stace :D

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yee really divvent want te use the off-side keystone correction- you'll loose resolution. Playce the projector in the middle (horizontally) te the screen, an either above below or in the middle o the screen (vertically)

Ah thowt yee were a lass ?

:)

3. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan,

Never make an assessment by a persons name :suicide: I know men called Kelly and Tracey :zonked:

What about my Avatar, I hope people don't think I like knobs !! :rotfl:

Anyways back to the point, I'm not allowed one in the middle of the room, my wifes too house proud.

Will the keystone correction make that much difference??

Thanks
    Stace (The Man) :D

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Stace, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

A projector doesn't have to live in the centre of your room. The thing that determines where it can be placed is the lens. Some manufacturers use short throw lenses (big picture, short distance screen to projector) whilst others use longer lenses (same size picture, longer projection distance).

A projector with a longer throw lens could mean the unit is mounted at the back of your room. The result is more like a cinema, the projector shining over your heads to the screen.

Check out projectors with longer throw lenses. You may find something that fits your budget and your room.

Good luck

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    side shot takes it's toll on piccy quality but you can pull the usual one of getting a HS10 (lovely) and running with side shot for a month and then demo it in the middle of the room ;)

6. MrSafety

MrSafety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... and bear in mind that the picture quality that is acceptable to you isn't necessarily the PQ acceptable to the next man/woman.

My twopence: I have an HS10 which is currently sat on a coffee table at the side of the room on maximum sideshot setting and I am more than happy with it. When I sort out a ceiling mount it will be moved to the centre of the room but I don't really expect to notice any difference in picture quality and, given the quality I already enjoy, don't much care!

If you're going from a 32" telly to an HS10 you'll be blown away regardless of what you project it onto and where you project it from.

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I give you a month and you will never go back....:lesson: