1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Side Shot - Sony VPL-HS10

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by steverussell, Jan 18, 2003.

1. steverussell

steverussell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I have got a SONY VPL-HS10 and was going to take advantage of the "Side-Shot" facility that it has by positioning the projector off centre to the screen.
    Does anybody know if this has any affect on the quality of the picture produced?

Many Thanks.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    Yes. It will unavoidably have a negative effect.

Imagine pointing a projector at a screen from the side without any such correction. You'd expect the picture to be taller and wider at the edge that is furthest from the PJ, and shorter/narrower at the edge nearest, right?

Well this is what happens. So the electronics in the PJ actually distort the picture on the LCD panels by a compensating reverse amount.

The effect is that less of the LCD pixels are used to produce the usable image. Worse still, it uses all of the pixels on the nearest edge, and fewer of them on the furthest edge. So, in fact, the loss of detail isn't uniform across the width.

However, as with all such things, the effects are more noticeable to some than to others, and the convenience of side mounting may outweigh, in your eyes, the reduced quality of the image.

So, my advice is, try it using non-permanent mountings to start with, and see for yourself whether you can notice and/or are bothered by, the effect.

3. murph200140

murph200140
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    I've got the hs2 , which also has the side shot feature .Not as nice as owning a hs10 ,but I have used the side shot and not noticed any difference in the picture quality .I tend to use it when the kids are watching a movie .As putting it to one side removes the danger of someone tripping up on the cables .
    Cheers murph

4. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used the HS10 sideshot feature.

Things I found:

1. I only managed to change the sideshot amount in increments of 10 ie 10,20,30,40. I don't know if I did something wrong but of course this meant that I couldn't get the picture exactly square unless I messed with the angle of the projector a bit as well.
    I probably did something wrong because it seems a bit odd to have it going up in multiples of 10.

2. When I was using sideshot, I didn't notice any difference from DVD viewing even though I knew that technically it is not ideal.

3. I think you would notice a lot more difference if you were using a home theatre PC and a DVI card in the quest for the ultimate picture.

Overall I think it's not ideal but you'll still get a watchable image that is everything that you hoped for. I doubt that you'll find it offensive to use.

Cheers
    John

5. steverussell

steverussell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your replies.

I guess the best thing to do would be, as suggested, to set up the projector temporarily and see if the picture degrades noticeably enough to warrant putting the pj in a central position.

There is definitely logic in the posted replies, as to why there would be a negative effect.

Thanks again........

Steve..