1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Side/Rear Speaker Advice/Suggestions Request

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Beamer, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm currently upgrading a 5.1 system to 7.1 and am interested in feedback from people that have struggled with the same decision as me i.e which speakers to use for the side/rear!

Currently my system currently comprises (or will shortly when Bryston get their act together):

Processor/Amplifier: Lex MC-12 / Bryston 9B / 4B

Front: IMF Professional Monitors (Huge Monsters but I would never part with them)

Center: B&W LCR60 S3

Rear: Currently B&W 2003's but these will shortly be re-allocated so I will need four speakers.

Since the back of my room has a double glazed patio door, I am resricted to mounting the the rear speakers close (12") to the side wall rather than the preferred position of 4 ft apart from the room centre, I could mount them in the ceiling but downward firing would probably sound strange. Fortunatley I have no restrictions on the side speaker position.

Since I can never match the front transmission line IMF monitors should I concentrate on making all the side/rear speakers the same tonal quality?

B&W appear to have discontinued their dipole speaker range due to poor sales, seems that most people apparently prefer standard radiation pattern!

Does anyone have experience with a similar configuration?

2. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Come on guys, somone must have experience of selecting rear/surround speakers!

What about Dynaudio's Audience 42W? I listened to them today and was reasonabley impressed but I do have a concern about their dynamic range on sources other than music i.e action scenes.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    I would think its best to match all the surround speakers and if possible try and match them as closely as possible with your front speakers.

Only by listening to a few demos (at home if possible) will you be able to tell whats a good match. Its worth having a look at Kefs THX dipoles as they may well match quite well, theyre fairly neutral sounding speakers.

Consider Dipoles at the sides and a pair of monopoles as rear centres or two pairs of dipoles as the surrounds.

4. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Jase

Thanks for the feedback. Having been reading the USA forums and looking through the Dolby web site, I got the impression that their was a swing to only using conventional speakers especially so after noting that B&W have discontinued manufacture of their DS6 Dipoles! I will check out the Kef's if I can find them locally but as you say the best test is to try them in situ!