1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Side-margin distortion when in 4:3 mode

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by IndianaBlues, Oct 3, 2005.

1. IndianaBlues

IndianaBlues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Hi,

I've been playing about with the geometry on my Panny 36PL32 for a while, and have finally managed to get the geometry issues I had with it (straight lines bending at the edges of the screen, image not centred and over-stretched and most annoying wobbly side margins when in 14:9 and 4:3 modes) sorted. The side margins are now nice and straight, however when something flashing and bright comes on to the screen (think ITV-F1's opening credits or an old Top of the Pops with the overhead lights flashing and swinging away) the picture in 4:3 or 14:9 flexes and pushes into the black margins (as in it distorts into them, turning the straight border-definition into a dancing wavy line). As soon as the bright image has gone the nice straight borders are back. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing it (and how to fix it!!!)?

Many thanks,

Nic

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    its just a characteristic of CRTs im afraid

3. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    As chedmaster says, it's something that virtually all CRT sets suffer from. It's caused by variations in the set's internal power supply regulation depending on picture brightness and beam current. The effect does vary from model to model but very few, apart from expensive studio monitors, are near perfect.

4. IndianaBlues

IndianaBlues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Thanks! I was worried I'd messed something up when playing in the service menu! A weight off my mind! :clap:

5. Merlin

Merlin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this reason enough to not buy widescreen CRT and go LCD or Plasma I wonder, or would a Sony Wega top notch CRT be ok and free of this ?
    I am considering a widescreen as my next TV, being a 4:3 CRT Sony 28inch currently.
    Is there a test DVD to put a TV in a shop through its paces I wonder ?

Merlin

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Nope. No consumer CRT TV will ever be free of it; would cost too much to manufacture. Some Loewe models have it fairly welll minimised. The only assured way to perfect geometry is a direct view flat panel (LCD or Plasma).

7. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Loewe Articos and I don't see any problems with it at all, especially when I compare it with my old Toshiba widescreen that thing used to drive me nuts I could never get it straight!