1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Side-effect of light on GBA SP

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Squirrel God, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are my memories of my original GBA playing tricks with me, or does the light on the new GBA SP make the colours appear slightly 'washed out'? What does everyone else think?

2. CMcK

CMcK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The front light does seem to add a slight blue tint to the colours but it's not always apparent, depends on the ambient lighting conditions.
    I am a little dissapointed with the GBA SP screen as I feel my GD87 phone has a brighter clearer screen.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, it's not perfect, that's for sure. But we can always go back to the original GBA by just pressing the button to turn off the light (and we get 8 hours extra battery time for our trouble). I just wondered about the quality of the image with the light. It might be this blue tint that I'm seeing, but I'm colour blind so not the best person to assess that. Just looked a bit washed out to me. I probably get a slightly more colourful image by turning off the light and going back to my fluorescent lamp as a light source. But this was inconvenient and I burnt myself a few times :blush: :D

Re the brightness issue, I'd guess that any increases in brightness would probably affect battery life, so they had to balance the two carefully.

4. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It does wash out the colours a little. In fact I have to say I'm a little disappointed in it as well. On reflection, it's actually no better than the Afterburner light. Granted it has no dust or imperfections like most afterburner installs but the light itself is exactly the same, perhaps even a bit duller on the GBA SP. The trapezium effect still exists as well.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not just my imagination then!

What's this trapezium effect mate?

6. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You get this depending on how you position the GBA, if you have it tilted at a side angle, you will see the light covers the screen like so:
    .___
    /__/

Means you can see the straight edge of the light falling on the screen. The effect is worse on the Afterburner GBA though.

7. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Yeah i've seen that effect on my SP, thought there might have been something wrong with it:blush:
    Like you say you can only see it at an angle.

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Groundy.

Never seen it yet, but then I almost always hold it straight on, with the screen lifted back into its 'natural' position. Anything else is just plain uncomfortable :D

Tend to tilt the SP as I go round corners in racing games though :blush: but must have been too busy concentrating on the game to notice anything :blush: :D

Gonna check it out tonight now :)

9. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135

I love to see people doing that it's so funny :D
    Doe's it help you round the bends better then?;)

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't realise I'm doing it half the time. I'm sure it does help, psychologically speaking ;)