Sick Pay

Member 328449

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My mum is currently off sick. It's only food poisoning and she will probably only have a week off. The problem is she works in a deli and has no contract. Is there any way she can get sick pay as she can't really afford to lose the money.

If she has no contract (why?) its unlikely she will get paid by the deli, but she will be entitled to statutory sick pay (SSP), assuming its all above board that is.

If she has no contract (why?) its unlikely she will get paid by the deli, but she will be entitled to statutory sick pay (SSP), assuming its all above board that is.

Yeah she pays tax and insurance and it's all legit. I assumed she would be entitled to something but didn't know how I'd go about getting it.

She should get SSP, but its not much, and you get diddly squat for the first 3 days, and you'll need a doctors note.

and you don't get a doctor's note for less than a week. you self-certify - the forms are in the DSS offices.

I believe a contract is a legal requirement after 3 months of employment.

Anyway all the best...

Missed the deli bit. If she has diarrhoea, and is involved with food, she must stay off work until the Public Health dept say she can return to work, after analysing her "samples"

Advice on SSP is all correct - self certify if under a week, but she will need to check out re. returning to work as she is in the food industry.

Re: contracts - if she turns up for work every day and she is getting paid then this is deemed as a contract - unless the employer is large, they vary rarely subsidise SSP. If the employer is a 'small business' which I imagine it is then they will claim the SSP paid to your mum back through their monthly Tax/NI payments to the tax office.

If your mum is getting 'cash in hand' for her work, then unfortunately she won't get any SSP.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom