1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sick Panasonic Video. Help!

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Paul O, Dec 27, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi all,

My Grans Panasonic video recorder of 4 years young has developed a fault;

When playing a tape, the picture is fine for 10 seconds, then a white noise bar appears at the top 1/4 of the screen and stays there.

Its not the tracking and the heads have been cleaned.

It looks as though the heads don't think they are on the tape properly and are moving to compensate.

Anyone have any ideas please? Is it worth repairing given that the new model of the same vid is only £90?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Paul.

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,027
    The fault you are on about is it a white band at the top or does it look as though the picture has been folded over at the top RH side, then to the LH side? If the latter it will eventually correct it self, or some times re-winding the tape to the end then to the opposite end helps.

Does it do this on new recordings? i.e. after you noticed the fault?

As to the repair or a new one, we the cheapest your going to get it repaired I would imagine is about£30 and could be more.

See if anyone else comes up with anything.

Hope this is of some/little help.

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.

3. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi,

The interference is white noise (like a blank video tape) and occurs on all tapes - pre-recorded, new or old recordings.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Paul.

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Sounds to me like the tape alignment is off, ie the physical route the tape travels in the vcr. It would cause the pic to show head switching information etc on screen. If that's all it is, a workshop could have it tweaked and returned quite easily. It would be a case of twiddling the guide arms and back tension arm. Also cleaning the drum (prevents drag) and cleaning the tape path itself could cure it.

If the drum is worn as could be the pressure roller, (each could cause the tape to wander in its travels) it would be too pricey to fix.

For £30 or so to get someone to look at it would be worth it. Then if it's going to be an expensive repair, you'd just pay the £30, then you may be able to claim the money back off a new one from their shop. My old firm (www.hughes-tv.co.uk) did that if you spent £150 or more on a new one. So you'd get a £150 vcr for £120.

5. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for the info General.

I'll bear it in mind. However, we opted to go for the new VCR. A similar brand new panny video only cost us £89, and has Super Long Play on it. (Great for my gran).

She said she would rather pay a little extra for a new one. I still have the old one which Im going to give to a techy friend of mine. So I'll pass on your comments and see if he can mend it for me!

The new video also works with the old remote control. Well done Panasonic! This is fantastic for old people!

Cheers,

Paul.