Sick of PS3 as my Blu-ray player - Advice Needed

galewis1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi... I need to replace my PS3 as my Blu-ray player. It's noisey, won't play my Region 1 DVD's and the remote sucks.

I have up to £350 to spend on a replacement. I need my new player to be able to handle multi region DVD's and 3D Blu-rays. I will connect the new player directly to my new Yamaha RX-A3010 via HDMI. I want it to be fast to boot up, quiet, and have a decent back-lit remote (ideally).

Not interested in recording, DVDA, SACD, internet streaming or any of that malarky. I suspect the RX-A3010 will handle video upscaling and audio formats better than any £350 player, so it jsut needs to pass the signal straight out (unless someone tells me otherwise?)

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Gary

consider the philips bdp9600, there is currently on a well known auction site, units for £299 (no fault customer returns, with 12mth warranty) - they used to RRP for 450-499

at this price it will likely be the best 3d/bd deck you will get, quiet, fast, well built, i cant really claim my oppo to be any better for £200 more, apart from the dual hdmi out, and better file playback on the oppo.

Hi... I need to replace my PS3 as my Blu-ray player. It's noisey, won't play my Region 1 DVD's and the remote sucks.

I have up to £350 to spend on a replacement. I need my new player to be able to handle multi region DVD's and 3D Blu-rays. I will connect the new player directly to my new Yamaha RX-A3010 via HDMI. I want it to be fast to boot up, quiet, and have a decent back-lit remote (ideally).

Not interested in recording, DVDA, SACD, internet streaming or any of that malarky. I suspect the RX-A3010 will handle video upscaling and audio formats better than any £350 player, so it jsut needs to pass the signal straight out (unless someone tells me otherwise?)

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Gary

Good choice here; your budget will get you MR for DVD & Blu-ray...

at this price it will likely be the best 3d/bd deck you will get, quiet, fast, well built, i cant really claim my oppo to be any better for £200 more, apart from the dual hdmi out, and better file playback on the oppo.

What's the remote on the Phillips like? One of the things I like best about my Oppo (aside from the build quality) is the remot controller. My experience with Phillips in the past indicates they feel they have to reinvent the remote every opportunity they get - and they mess up the usability every time.

i cant remember to be honest, i never used it apart from a few mins - i *think* it was quite alright actually, nothing to contrary, oval shaped and quite tactile and responsive

philips-bdp-9600-fernbedienung-518x459.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom