1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sick E85 on its way back to Panasonic...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by apreading, Sep 6, 2004.

1. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Had my E85 for 3 months now.

When I first came here I saw quite a few threads about hard disk noise, and stated that mine was very quiet. Well since then I dont know it is paranoia, hyper sensitivity or what - but the disk seems to have gotten much more noisy. Reformatted it a couple of times 2-3 weeks ago to see if it was a fragmentation issue, but no difference. I also had a problem with two titles which had a single frame of another recording in the middle of them and would not dub to DVD-R so was obviously corrupt in some way - did dub to DVD-RAM OK though (first time was a week or so after I got it and the second was 3-4 weeks ago just before the reformat).

I was ‘dividing’ a title on Friday night, when the screen just froze saying ‘Now dividing title – please wait’. After 10-15 minutes when it was obviously not going anywhere, I tried cancelling the operation but found the unit did not respond to any of the buttons on the remote or on the fascia. I then pressed the on/off button on the fascia and the unit did go into standby (saying bye on the way down), but when I pressed it again to boot the machine it went through the ‘self check’ routine on the front display but then the display went blank (except for the HDD light), no picture and still no response to any buttons (luckily there was no disc in it at the time because it wont even open the drawer!). Unplugged it and still no joy. I left it unplugged overnight just to make sure it was totally cooled down and tried again in the morning – still does nothing after the self check routine.

Well the friendly people at MultiRegionMagic are supposed to be collecting it today and speaking to Panasonic about how soon they can get me a replacement.

Cant find anyone else here with the same problems so hopefully an isolated incident...

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Doesn't sound good Apreading. It could be a faulty HDD - in which case you new unit will hopefully have more luck.

3. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Just spoken to Multiregionmagic and they confirm the hard disk is "knackered"!

They are just waiting for Panasonic to conform when the replacement will arrive.

Glad I used them rather than one of the slightly cheaper suppliers which might have been more hassle come return time!

Man, I really miss Hard disc recording though - been swapping video tapes around to record/watch things this week and hunting for the right place to start recordings plus not letting the kids watch stuff while the timer is set during the day etc.

Has anyone else with a HDD/DVD had to go through cold turkey like this? It is really difficult, and I cannot wait to get the new one!

What is worse is that I had already gone through the Radio Times and ringed all the items to record & archive and I keep seeing them and cursing because I am not able to...